Neurology Job Offer Dilemna

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurogeneral

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been at my current job for several years now. I am a general neurologist who has a clinical neurophysiology fellowship (EMG/EEG). I do both outpatient and inpatient on a daily basis.

I am in the process of exploring other opportunities as I am not satisfied with my on-call schedule mostly. We have telestroke set up but otherwise have been doing q2 inpatient call at a community hospital. I get 4 days (2 weekends) off per month.

Recently, I applied and was offered 2 other positions. They both happen to be about a 50 minute commute from where I live. They are both very similar in terms of their daily schedules. In addition to daily half day of clinic, there is also daily inpatient neurology coverage of a similar sized community hospital. There is no other neurologist providing inpatient coverage. However, telestroke is in place and teleneurology will cover the weekends. Compensation is comparable to my current job.

To me at least initially this felt like a good compromise as I would still get all my weekends off but am now having second thoughts. I am not thrilled about again having to do BOTH outpatient and inpatient on a daily basis. At times, I feel a little stretched thin with this type of schedule. From experience, it also typically leaves me with less time to dedicate to EMGs. Moreover, I feel that being the only neurologist doing inpatient rounds could leave very little if any flexibility in terms of booking vacation time or even having to take a day off for emergencies (rare but it happens when you have a family including 3 small kids). And of course, the commute is not ideal but not the worst either I guess.

I was hoping to get some perspectives on these job offers. Are my reservations reasonable? Am I being to picky? Does anyone have experience working this type of schedules long term?

Members don't see this ad.