Neurology or Radiology??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaise77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in doing interventional neuroradiology but am stuck between which pathway....my love is neuroscience and I love the clinical aspect of medicine and would feel more fit as a neurologist but I wonder if it is more difficult to get into the fellowship than going through radiology since only a handful of programs even allow neuro residents. I think I am competitive enough to get into a radiology program (boards 250s, grades H and HPs), but probably would not get into a top notch rad program....which may also hurt my chances of a fellowship position....what do you guys think is the best path to interventional neuroradiology
-Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Let me start by saying that I am just a 1st year so I am sure you can get more reliable info.

From my interactions with an Interventional Neurologist he made it seem like Neurology is an established way of getting into this fellowship and he recommended it as a pathway to get into Interventional Neuro..whether thats the case, i couldnt say

If I were you, with your strong interest in Neurology, I would go for a top Neuro program. Are you interested in Radiology or just in Interventional?

Good luck

Let me start by saying that I am just a 1st year so I am sure you can get more reliable info.

From my interactions with an Interventional Neurologist he made it seem like Neurology is an established way of getting into this fellowship and he recommended it as a pathway to get into Interventional Neuro..whether thats the case, i couldnt say

If I were you, with your strong interest in Neurology, I would go for a top Neuro program. Are you interested in Radiology or just in Interventional?

Good luck
Interventional neurology is the new kid on the block.
This is the established way: http://www.snisonline.org/guest/guest.php.
INR is wide open for neurosurgeons and neuroradiologists. It is much more difficult (but not impossible) for neurologists to get into INR. Do a search as the topic has been discussed before.

I may be biased, but I think that neurosurgeons are in the best position to take care of these patients as they can deal with aneurysms both via open and closed methods, though now there seems to be a shift towards endovascular treatment. Also neurosurgeons can deal with the complications of brain edema IE ventriculostomies or craniotomy. By far the most technically adept at the catheter skills and those with the most experience are the radiologists (knowing when to be aggressive to be and when to NOT intervene are perhaps even more important than catheter skills.) However I think all specialties have something to offer the patient and the best approach is a multidisciplinary approach.