Neurology Residency Applicant Census 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InVivo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious on how many schools have an increased number of neurology applicants this year compared to last year. This was a talking point with some of my fellow interviewees at an interview and I wanted to know what the world of SDN has to offer.

My school doubled in the number of applicants from last year, from 6 to 12.
The other interviewee's school also increased, from 4 to 6-8.
Another intervieweee's school also increased from 3 to 6.

What's your experience been?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was told by my program director that they received about 200 more applications than last year. This program director said other programs were reporting increased number of applicants. Feels competitive. I feel like I did well at my safe schools, but did not get many interviews from reaches. I have not personally interviewed anywhere. I do not til November. Pretty disappointed with experience thus far.

Last edited:
Anecdotally, there does seem to be an uptick in neuro interest both at my institution and elsewhere. I was terrified that I wouldn't get many interview offers since I'm pretty average, so I applied broadly and safely. Got 20+ offers, and scheduled interviews at 15+. Not too worried about matching but not getting complacent either.

That said, I'm not sure that corralling anecdotes about increased interest in neuro will do anything other than freak people out. I can't imagine it doing anything productive for applicants on the interview trail.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's definitely been an increase in neurology applicants from my institution this year...we have more applicants for neuro this year than any year prior. It's interesting to hear that from others as well.

same at my school. Great that more ppl are becoming interested in this awesome field

I just had an interview and was told they received only about 50 more applications than last year but that the quality was improved. They were heavily thinking of adding another interview date.

interesting... where was that, if you don't mind me asking?

fwiw, my upenn rejection letter said they "received an unusually large number of qualified applicants" but i'm probably being overly neurotic and it's the same email they have used for the past 10 years

fwiw, my upenn rejection letter said they "received an unusually large number of qualified applicants" but i'm probably being overly neurotic and it's the same email they have used for the past 10 years
That sounds pretty boilerplate to me.

Likewise. There is a definite bump in the number of applicants at my program too.