Neurology Trained Pain Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroGuyIP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a neurology resident in the final year of residency and will be starting my pain management fellowship next July (beyond excited!). Will I have more difficulty finding a pain position, after fellowship, given that I am neurology trained? Also, is there a difference in pay? The reason I ask is because I have seen a couple of job postings advertising as "100% pain opportunity" and showing a higher compensation for anesthesiology trained applicants vs their neurology counterparts. I would have expected this if there was some anesthesia call mixed in, but not for an exclusive pain position. Interested in and appreciate any feedback on the subject matter. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They probably mean anesthesiology based fellowship, which are usually more procedure oriented.

It's possible, but coming from an accredited fellowship you'll be fine. Perhaps a few jobs will be out if they require things specific to PMR (non-op Ortho/peripheral msk work) or anesthesia (OR call or acute pain coverage). Being able to do EMGs can be a plus for some jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I am a neurology resident in the final year of residency and will be starting my pain management fellowship next July (beyond excited!). Will I have more difficulty finding a pain position, after fellowship, given that I am neurology trained? Also, is there a difference in pay? The reason I ask is because I have seen a couple of job postings advertising as "100% pain opportunity" and showing a higher compensation for anesthesiology trained applicants vs their neurology counterparts. I would have expected this if there was some anesthesia call mixed in, but not for an exclusive pain position. Interested in and appreciate any feedback on the subject matter. Thanks!
No difficulty getting a job. But many jobs will attempt to pay significantly less because your background is not anesthesia. Even MGMA has it listed differently. Some jobs specifically look for non-anesthesia because they think they'll get the same thing for less money. But take heart, in the long run, your negotiating power will be determined by your revenue.

I've heard that in private practice you'd make the same as an anesthesia-trained doctor, that its all a wash since you'd be doing the same procedures. Anyone in practice care to verify this?

Last edited:
I've heard that in private practice you'd make the same as an anesthesia-trained doctor, that its all a wash since you'd be doing the same procedures. Anyone in practice care to verify this?
Yes. True. I'm non-anesthesia. Insurances pay me exactly the same as if I was a gas passer.