Neurophysiology Board Question - opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boronoxygen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just graduated Neurophys fellowship and would be eligible to take the board exam coming Oct 2023. I really torn with a decision at the moment and was wondering if you all had an opinion.

The board exam costs 2400 to apply for: 1900 and then 500 processing fee. Then there will be maintenance every year and then recertification. Then I also have to pay them to verify my board to each hospital /state in the future wherever I go.

My reasoning to not take it is first the principle: the money to maintain these certifications is gets to be a bit much. We as physicians went through so much and they take advantage of the income that we earn. I can pay it but I'm not happy doing it.

2nd: If I spend time studying, I cannot work (private practice 1099 life), I earn less money.
3rd: I work with multiple entities and every time I apply, there will be one more certification to submit and pay for.

Downsides of not taking it:
1) possibly will forget material in the future and not be able to take it then
2) Jobs?

My goal in not taking it is more for my own sanity and my own stance (sticking it to the man) - I hate the admin powers-that-be trying to suck every last ounce out of me/the healthcare system.

My physician friends have given me some direction: Take the exam, see if you need to certify it later.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you’ve thought this through. I am taking the neurophys exam in October as a means to consolidate my fellowship knowledge and just in case it comes in handy on my c.v. early in my career.

I am going to study while I am doing remote IOM and my employers cme find will cover the cost.

If I were just doing 1099 work I would have a much harder time justifying it.

Yes, the Neurophysiology certification will be invaluable if you're considering ever going into IOM. And immediately post-graduation is the optimal time to take the Boards.
Also, as a 1099, Board exam fees should be tax-deductible as a business expense.
I don't believe you need to pay the Board to verify your certification to hospitals/credentialing entities. In my experience, these entities only want to see copies of your certification (unlike, say, license verification, where they want primary source confirmation).