Neuropsychology Training PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lejla Woodman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pursuing a career in clinical neuropsychology. I recently gained acceptance into two clinical psychology PhD programs. The first is a joint-degree PhD program in behavioral neuroscience and clinical psychology. The second is a general PhD program in clinical psychology, but with a module in neuropsychology. The research between the two programs is very similar, so now I am perplexed as to which program I should attend. How necessary is the neuropsychology module for getting an internship in neuropsychology? Would receiving dual training in behavioral neuroscience and clinical psychology provide the same prestige (or more? less?) than a neuropsychology module?

Thanks for any input you are able to provide!

Members don't see this ad.

I am pursuing a career in clinical neuropsychology. I recently gained acceptance into two clinical psychology PhD programs. The first is a joint-degree PhD program in behavioral neuroscience and clinical psychology. The second is a general PhD program in clinical psychology, but with a module in neuropsychology. The research between the two programs is very similar, so now I am perplexed as to which program I should attend. How necessary is the neuropsychology module for getting an internship in neuropsychology? Would receiving dual training in behavioral neuroscience and clinical psychology provide the same prestige (or more? less?) than a neuropsychology module?

Thanks for any input you are able to provide!

Congrats!! I'd say to remember that in order to match for a neuropsych internship and then post-doc fellowship, you need good research experiences (which you say is similar between the programs) and good clinical experiences. Will that help you differentiate between the programs? Depending on where you apply for internship/post doc, the hours required will vary, but the placements during graduate training need to be good, high quality, well supervised, experiences. My bias is toward placements in large academic medical centers/VAs or private hospitals, but that was my choice during graduate school and that helped me gain a competitive internship. Hope that helps! Either way, sounds like you're in great shape.