Neurosurgery Residency Length Clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jws32

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most neurosurgery residencies are 7-8 years (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/neurosurgery-programs-increase-in-length.988261/), but I still see people saying "most neurosurgery residencies" and they are typically "6-8 years in length."

After looking through every program on Freida Online there were 10 programs (Mayo Jax, Cinci, New Mexico, UCSF, UNC, etc.) that listed 6 years as the "accredited and required length of training." Is this only because the programs don't officially include the PGY-1 into the program, and they view it as the PGY-1 plus 6 year neurosurgery residency? After looking at the actual websites of the programs, I realized all of them still had a total of 7 years of training.

After searching on SDN and Uncle Harvey (which doesn't work) I can't find any concrete answers. To boil it all down--is there such a thing as a true 6 year neurosurgery residency program anymore? Should/can we stop saying "most" when talking about the length of residencies if they are all at least 7 years of training (PGY-1 to PGY-7)?

Members don't see this ad.

So if I'm reading correctly some programs with 6 years of total training are...

Duke
Albany
Wake Forest

(Please add to and/or correct the list if I'm misunderstood)

Members don't see this ad :)
all are now 7 years after the ACGME changed policy. Some of the websites for the individual programs have not updated their curriculum, so may show that they are a 6 year program.

All programs are seven, a couple try to do it in six (meaning your chief as a six) and leave you that last year open to do other stuff like in folded fellowships (Duke comes to mind), but most do not.