"Never retake a 30" - Really?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pithy84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Never retake a 30 or higher" - Is this good advice? State your opinion and ideally also state your qualifications. Members of admissions committees are especially sought for comment.

Several people have said "never retake a 30 or higher", because having two MCAT scores looks bad and a 30 is decent. Indeed, the data tables published by the AAMC show that the median score for med school acceptees is 29.77.* For rejects, the median score is 25.

However, I am dubious of the advice "never retake a 30". What if you are 95% sure you can do considerably better? What if you really want to go to a school with a much higher average? Neither of these is necessarily true for me. I think I might be able to do better on a retake, especially because I only studied for 50 hours and I didn't read about VR strategy at all. However, I am not dead-set on a top school. In fact, I would really love to go to my state's public university - I could save all that money and stay within an hour of my friends. Given the choice between my state school and Stanford, with all of Stanford's prestige and beautiful weather, I am really not sure which I would pick.

People often mention the risk of getting a 30 on the retake, which would be a bad outcome. But if one 30 can't get you where you want to be, then two 30's may not be measurably worse. Sure, two 30's is worse in theory. But for some people, one 30 is bad enough to make them change careers.

Another reason to retake a 30: Schools like their own numbers to look good. If an applicant has a 30 and a 36, the school can probably accept them and then use 36 when calculating statistics.

I strongly suspect different schools and different admissions officers have different reactions when they see multiple MCAT scores. Some of them probably do think "retaking a 30 was a sign of poor judgment", as has been stated on this forum. But some of them probably see the two scores and think, "Wow, look at that improvement. Maybe they were sick on the first test date, or maybe this shows their strong motivation and ability to learn. Either way, this tenacious applicant will be a boon to my med school."

* The MSAR only says 33 to terrify you, they are quadruple-counting people who got 4 acceptances, and so on. The MSAR says it is 31 without duplication, but this is not borne out by the data. 31 is close enough to 29.77 that I think they may just be using different time spans or different methodologies for counting people who get in off the waiting list. Or maybe they are counting retakes differently - maybe 29.77 averages retakes, and 31 takes the highest score.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your goals. If your goal is to become a doctor, then a 30 will more than likely accomplish that if the rest of your app is sound. If you only want to be a high-tier med school educated doctor then you will have to accept the risk of a retake.

I'd say it would also depend on your section scores. If you get a 30 (10/10/10), then I don't see why you should have to retake unless it is significantly below your average, or if the schools you want to go to wouldn't like a 30 that much. But, if you got a 12/7/11, that 7 would warrant a retake in most scenarios.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say it would also depend on your section scores. If you get a 30 (10/10/10), then I don't see why you should have to retake unless it is significantly below your average, or if the schools you want to go to wouldn't like a 30 that much. But, if you got a 12/7/11, that 7 would warrant a retake in most scenarios.

This. My co-worker ended up with a 30 but got 12/6/12. She is retaking because the 6 will get her screened from a lot of schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This. My co-worker ended up with a 30 but got 12/6/12. She is retaking because the 6 will get her screened from a lot of schools.
This is so bizarre to me, how can someone be in the bottom sixth in VR yet understand and navigate the science passages well enough to be top 5% there? I thought there was a lot more overlap in the necessary skills

I don't give that statement much credit. There are a lot of extenuating circumstances and in this age of growing competition a 30 is quickly fading from "cutting it" in the app cycle to "try again next year."
A 30 to me is outside the grey area. The grey area being the score range that makes retaking too high risk, but may not be the score someone is hoping for, especially if one was scoring in the high 30's/low 40's on practice tests (that type of "Should I retake?" thread comes up all the time!). The grey area in my opinion is roughly a 33-34 - while this is a great score that with a balanced app has a strong shot at a variety of schools (look at the MSAR), many people who get this score may feel like their chance at their dream school (Stanford, San Fran, Harvard) has now dissolved and thus conjure up plans to retake. But again, I believe that risk to be very, very, high and I can only imagine what adcoms would think when they see such a retake, regardless of the score. Would they think you too much of a risk taker? Too much of a perfectionist? Perpetually unsatisfied? The cons outweigh the pros in that scenario, in my mind. But a 30? No, that to me is not outside the realm of retaking.

Great, now I have to be terrified of a 34.

Haha, no I don't. A 34 is better than median for my state school, and I would LOVE to go to my state school. Save all that money, stay near my friends. Still, the better the score, the more likely I will get to choose my geography.

Come onnnnn January 6th. Let me see those scores.