New 2 SDN (Looking for knowledge)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mountain21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a second semester freshman at IUPUI in Indianapolis, and my major is currently Biology. I am also setting myself up for a Chemistry degree, if I want to switch or even double. I plan on a transfer either to Indiana Univ. or to Ball State Univ. later on in 2009-10. But I am also open to any other schools. My goal is obviously Med School, and I am currently aiming to be an Anesthesiologist. I just had a few questions that I can't find answers to, and wanted some help:

1. Are the degrees I am going for going to help/hurt/ or don't really matter when I apply?

2. Does a degree from a non-traditional school like IUPUI hurt me on an application.

3. What type of volunteer or internship jobs should/can I do?

4. Practice MCATs, where can I take them, how can I study. I want to do better than my best basically.

5. Finally, where should I go for med school? As far as my career goal to what school has the best or most renowed program for that career path?

Members don't see this ad.

take all with a grain of salt..as you should do with everything in life :D (well not EVERYTHING lol)
1. It does not matter what you choose as a major in undergrad. None of them will help or hurt your chances when applying to medical school. It will hurt you if you decide to take more than you can handle and your grades start to slip.

2. dont really know about that one, is it an accredited four year university?? If so, then I see no problem.

3. Clinical Experience is very important and medical schools would love to see that in your application. Start volunteering at your local hospital, try to shadow someone in the field (maybe an anesthesiologist). If your grades are great and you are interested in research, there are so many summer opportunities at universities that will assist you with that, and some even pay you.:thumbup: Also are there any extracurricular activities that you are interested in? Like sports, the arts, volunteering elsewhere, etc...definitely get your foot in the door and try to do some of those things. They like to see a diverse applicant.

4. There is a free practice MCAT at e-mcat.com. The AAMC provides that exam for free. Also on the Kaplan and Princeton Review website, they also give a free practice MCAT exam. If you have the money, dish it out for a course, where you have the materials, the classroom lectures, more free practice MCATs and also access to teachers and students to help you. If you do not have the money, I suggest you purchase some books from your local bookstore. Everyone has their suggestions on which books to get (Kaplan, ExamKrackers, Princeton Review) just flip through them all and choose the one that you like the most and feel more comfortable with. If you do this on your own, it will take like some SERIOUS dedication and time management. Those practice exams will definitely help you out greatly.

5. You can go WHEREVER you want to go. Quote me if I am wrong medical students, but you just go to whatever school you want to go to, do extremely well and pass the STEP exams. Well not just pass, EXCEL! I think every school has matched someone in anesthesiology (give or take 5). Since of your location apply to all your state schools, a few private schools throughout the country, some other schools that match your GPA/MCAT range and then go from there.

check out these websites that might come in handy:
aamc.org (summer programs, application information, MCAT information, etc)
aspiringdocs.org (tons of resources and information about the entire process and additional advice)
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/biology/ug/intern.html
http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm
those two have great links to summer programs and internships...

Good luck on your journey!!!

Last edited:
1. Are the degrees I am going for going to help/hurt/ or don't really matter when I apply?
No, as long as you fulfill the premed requirements and get good grades you will do fine.
2. Does a degree from a non-traditional school like IUPUI hurt me on an application.
Not really. However, I hear that having a committee (that writes LOR) helps.

3. What type of volunteer or internship jobs should/can I do?
You can do anything you want really. You should possibly shadow, and volunteer in a clinical setting. Working in a hospital setting can also help, but is unnecessary.

Research is not necessary, unless you plan on applying for MD/Phd. It is a good idea to do some research though.
4. Practice MCATs, where can I take them, how can I study. I want to do better than my best basically.
If you do not plan on paying for a review course, you can buy practice tests from AAMC. Do not buy the practice tests if you pay for a review course because some review packets include the AAMC tests.

5. Finally, where should I go for med school? As far as my career goal to what school has the best or most renowed program for that career path?[/quote]