New AOA President

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=mc_ajlunipresident

For Immediate Release
June 22, 2007

ajluni.jpg

American Osteopathic Association Installs
Peter B. Ajluni, D.O., as 111th President
(CHICAGO)— The American Osteopathic Association (AOA) installed Peter B. Ajluni, D.O., a board certified osteopathic orthopedic surgeon from Bloomfield Hills, Mich., as the 2007-2008 president on June 22, 2007. Dr. Ajluni succeeds John A. Strosnider, D.O., of Pikeville, Ky., who passed away of pancreatic cancer on June 21.
“In my over 35 years as an osteopathic physician, I have seen this profession experience immense success and have witnessed the AOA grow into a nationally recognized medical association,” Dr. Ajluni said. “I am very proud to serve as president of this organization and continue the work of Dr. Strosnider.”
Dr. Ajluni, an avid hiker and jogger who has participated in a number of marathons and triathlons, chose “D.O.s: Fit for Life” as his presidential theme. This theme conveys the importance of osteopathic physicians serving as role models for their patients when it comes to health and fitness. In addition, President Ajluni will extend that focus to make the AOA a healthier and more fit organization for its members and the U.S. a better health care system for patients.
Dr. Ajluni is currently on leave from his position as a senior orthopedic surgeon at Mount Clemens (Mich.) Regional Medical Center (part of the McLaren Health Care System) where he also served as former chief of staff. He continues to serve as vice chair of the board of trustees at Mount Clemens. He also held staff privileges at Henry Ford Bi-County Community Hospital in Warren, Mich., and St. John North Shores Hospital in Harrison Township, Mich.
Dr. Ajluni served as AOA president-elect for the 2006-2007 term. He began his career on the AOA Board of Trustees in 1998 and was a member of the AOA’s Executive Committee from 2000-2005. In addition, he served as chair of the AOA Departments of Business Affairs, Educational Affairs, Professional Affairs and Governmental Affairs.
Aside from his involvement on the national level, Dr. Ajluni has also been an active member of state and local osteopathic medical organizations. He served as president of both the Michigan Osteopathic Association and the Michigan Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
After earning his degree in 1969 from the Chicago College of Osteopathy, now known as Midwestern University/Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine in Downers Grove, Ill., Dr. Ajluni completed an internship and residency at Mount Clemens General Hospital.
Dr. Ajluni resides in Bloomfield Hills with his wife, Judy. They have three children, Noelle (Kurt) Cassel, Mark and Matthew, and three grandchildren.
The American Osteopathic Association proudly represents its professional family of more than 59,000 osteopathic physicians (D.O.s); promotes public health; encourages scientific research; serves as the primary certifying body for D.O.s; is the accrediting agency for osteopathic medical colleges; and has federal authority to accredit hospitals and other health care facilities. More information on D.O.s/osteopathic medicine can be found at www.osteopathic.org.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like an interesting guy. Hope he has some great ideas about where he would like to see the AOA go. I wish him the best of luck.

is (was) he the president elect and just took his office early??

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know anything about this guy but does anyone know if he is more conservative, moderate, or liberal in regards to Osteopathic Medicine. Is he looking for wide changes that will impact the profession into further growth and recognition or is he one of those who just want things to stay the way they are (Keep a separation with MD's, No debate on DO designations, No new residencies..etc). Maybe the fact that it is the AOA automatically answers this question.

PANSIT:

I think the last line of your post sums it up pretty well. He is, more than likely, a party-line sort of guy. The AOA does not "elect" leaders who are not.

jd

is (was) he the president elect and just took his office early??

In the Press Release, it said Dr. Ajluni was the President-Elect for 2006-2007, so I'm guessing he just took over the post a little early.

The next question is, will he finish out the rest of Dr. Strosnider's term and his own, or will the cycle be changed now? I would guess the former...

jd

PANSIT:

I think the last line of your post sums it up pretty well. He is, more than likely, a party-line sort of guy. The AOA does not "elect" leaders who are not.

jd

I was hoping otherwise, but I will not be surprised if (when) you are right.

(Keep a separation with MD's, No debate on DO designations, No new residencies..etc). Maybe the fact that it is the AOA automatically answers this question.

What do you mean by "no new residencies?"

What do you mean by "no new residencies?"

It is my understanding that currently there are more osteopathic students than acutual AOA residency positions (I could be wrong), so it is a positive that at least half of DO students go to ACGME residencies. Since DO's emphasize primary care so much I also wonder if any new "speciality" residencies will arise or in the plans for the next few years.

It is my understanding that currently there are more osteopathic students than acutual AOA residency positions (I could be wrong),

I could be wrong too, but I've heard the same thing...

I could be wrong too, but I've heard the same thing...

No you haven't heard wrong. I remember seeing a post that had the numbers. If the AMA changes its mind in the future about allowing DO's to match into their residencies, the AOA will have a huge problem since there aren't enough residency spots to go around for its graduates. Imagein graduating with $200k in debt and not getting a residency spot. The AOA really needs to think about this and fix it.

No you haven't heard wrong. I remember seeing a post that had the numbers. If the AMA changes its mind in the future about allowing DO's to match into their residencies, the AOA will have a huge problem since there aren't enough residency spots to go around for its graduates. Imagein graduating with $200k in debt and not getting a residency spot. The AOA really needs to think about this and fix it.

If this ever happens, just imagine how competitive all the schools are going to be. You will not match unless you are in the top half of your class :eek:...Good thing that I dont forsee anything like that happening. I think that more and more residencies are opening up to DO's and I think people in the allopathic world have realize that it is much better for everyone (patients..etc) that all aspects of medicine work together instead of trying to outcompete each other. Numerous MD's are already learning OMM and and of course Osteopathic Medicine has numerous aspects that are part of allopathic realm.

If this ever happens, just imagine how competitive all the schools are going to be. You will not match unless you are in the top half of your class :eek:...Good thing that I dont forsee anything like that happening. I think that more and more residencies are opening up to DO's and I think people in the allopathic world have realize that it is much better for everyone (patients..etc) that all aspects of medicine work together instead of trying to outcompete each other. Numerous MD's are already learning OMM and and of course Osteopathic Medicine has numerous aspects that are part of allopathic realm.

You bring up an extremely important point, and we must be very careful on how we approach the future of Osteopathic residency programs. In 1997 congress froze the number of funded GME positions, and they mandated that any spots in a program that go unfilled for 3 years will be taken away to be available for other sites. At this point allopathic programs began taking more DO's, which helped them fill all of their residency positions.

In 2002 a prediction was made that by 2020, the US would have a major shortage of physicians and the AMA responded by requesting schools to increase their class size by 30%. Now, with a capped number of training positions available and the number of applicants rising what do you think will happen to the number of DO's accepted into allopathic programs?

Only 40% of the osteopathic graduates matched into an osteopathic internship position. 1,508 (includes military) of the 3,173 total osteopathic graduates did not participate in this year’s Match. The AOA intern/resident registration program includes 2,688 approved positions, and 2,189 funded positions, 925 of which were unfilled as of February 12, 2007.

If we don't begin to put more energy and resources into our own programs the future of Osteopathic medicine in this country is in trouble. In my humble opinion, I believe that as a student it is in my best interest to pursue and support Osteopathic graduate medical education and do everything that I can to strengthen our own training programs.

New "specialty" programs are opening every year, but as students we need to step up and support them.

Well, I don't think it's likely that the ACGME will just abruptly exclude all DOs from their residencies. However, some MD schools are increasing class sizes, and as their number of graduates increases and the number of allopathic residencies stays the same, fewer DOs will match to allopathic programs and will have to go osteopathic.

I don't have exact numbers, but roughly 50% of DOs go to allopathic residencies and roughly 50% of osteopathic residencies go unfilled. So the real problem is not a shortage of osteopathic residencies overall (although the absolute number is probably slightly lower than the number of graduates). The real issue is the limited number of osteopathic residencies in highly desirable specialties and locations. If there were more of these types of programs, maybe more students would choose the osteopathic match.

Well, I don't think it's likely that the ACGME will just abruptly exclude all DOs from their residencies. However, some MD schools are increasing class sizes, and as their number of graduates increases and the number of allopathic residencies stays the same, fewer DOs will match to allopathic programs and will have to go osteopathic.

I don't have exact numbers, but roughly 50% of DOs go to allopathic residencies and roughly 50% of osteopathic residencies go unfilled. So the real problem is not a shortage of osteopathic residencies overall (although the absolute number is probably slightly lower than the number of graduates). The real issue is the limited number of osteopathic residencies in highly desirable specialties and locations. If there were more of these types of programs, maybe more students would choose the osteopathic match.

Yeah I agree. I don't believe the ACGME will "close" their programs to DO's in the future, however if their class sizes will be increasing by 25-30%, that means less available spots for DO's due to the fact that MDs can't match into DO programs. Ultimately when push comes to shove, ACGME programs will always have the back of MD students. I agree that as DO's we need to start supporting our own programs so that we don't kick ourselves in the butt and make it more difficult for future students.

You bring up an extremely important point, and we must be very careful on how we approach the future of Osteopathic residency programs. In 1997 congress froze the number of funded GME positions, and they mandated that any spots in a program that go unfilled for 3 years will be taken away to be available for other sites. At this point allopathic programs began taking more DO's, which helped them fill all of their residency positions.

In 2002 a prediction was made that by 2020, the US would have a major shortage of physicians and the AMA responded by requesting schools to increase their class size by 30%. Now, with a capped number of training positions available and the number of applicants rising what do you think will happen to the number of DO's accepted into allopathic programs?

Only 40% of the osteopathic graduates matched into an osteopathic internship position. 1,508 (includes military) of the 3,173 total osteopathic graduates did not participate in this year’s Match. The AOA intern/resident registration program includes 2,688 approved positions, and 2,189 funded positions, 925 of which were unfilled as of February 12, 2007.

If we don't begin to put more energy and resources into our own programs the future of Osteopathic medicine in this country is in trouble. In my humble opinion, I believe that as a student it is in my best interest to pursue and support Osteopathic graduate medical education and do everything that I can to strengthen our own training programs.

New "specialty" programs are opening every year, but as students we need to step up and support them.

Wow, I didn't realize we were overshooting our available internships by 1000 graduates every year (2189 funded internship slots/3173 grads).

Interesting to know.

jd

So this increase in MD class sizes (25-30%), will it take place right away or steadily for the next few years? I am just curious because I will be applying within the next few years and I am curious if it would affect me directly and limit my opportunities. Say I will start next year at a DO school, would it significantly be different for residency matches four years later. I would agree though that FMG's will be the most affected with both an increase in MD and DO students.

my gut feeling is that Congress is probably going to break that cap... either that or a lot of these smaller FP/IM programs (not trying to knock them or pass judgement on them, just saying what i'm observing) that oftentimes don't fill will start to become a little more competative and will start to fill more...

So this increase in MD class sizes (25-30%), will it take place right away or steadily for the next few years? I am just curious because I will be applying within the next few years and I am curious if it would affect me directly and limit my opportunities. Say I will start next year at a DO school, would it significantly be different for residency matches four years later. I would agree though that FMG's will be the most affected with both an increase in MD and DO students.

It will be gradual, but it has already started, and the DO schools are growing much faster than the MD's. A lot depends on what area of medicine you end up training in.

My school increased our class size by about 10 people, but we're stuck at that because we don't have room in our lecture halls for more people. Once we get our always promised remodeling, we might expand more. So it's happening at lots of allopathic schools right now, but the big growth will probably take a while.

Osteopathic growth, though, seems to be much more rapid. That competition for residencies will probably cause a bigger impact.