New & Confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Purrfect

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all: Hi pre-vet forum of SDN. :oops:

I just joined and I'd like to apologize if I come across as completely clueless. (I am!) When I tried searching my questions were narrowed down, but I still have a few things I'm unsure of. Basically I started my freshman year of college over the summer, and the fall semester begins in about a week and a half. My situation is kind of strange because I'm planning on transferring for my sophomore year. Right now, I'm sort of torn in-between declaring Pre-Vet or Pre-Med. Aside from covering my general education bases and volunteering, does anyone have advice? Something you wish you'd known during your freshman year or anything of that nature would be really helpful.

Also, I'm considering declaring a Microbiology major next year. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't decide yet. Prerequisite courses are the same. Take gen chem, gen bio, orgo, physics, and elective bio classes to start. Shadow as often as you can to really understand th professions. Join clubs, find an organization you love to volunteer long term. Enjoy college but don't underestimate the work needed to ace your classes.

Thanks so much, SnowyRox.

One of my options for an elective this semester is Human Bio. Is taking classes that have such a specific focus potentially detrimental? I guess my biggest worry is that med or vet schools will feel like I'm applying as a backup plan based on my classes.

Members don't see this ad :)

One of my options for an elective this semester is Human Bio. Is taking classes that have such a specific focus potentially detrimental? I guess my biggest worry is that med or vet schools will feel like I'm applying as a backup plan based on my classes.

Not necessarily. Some classes may be more geared toward say human med, but if it still counts, then it counts. For example: at my undergrad, the parasitology class they offered was "veterinary and MEDICAL parasitology", with a focus more so on the human side of things. It still worked for me. I also know that some of my classmates at TAMU took human anatomy or human nursing as elective classes in their undergrad and they're in vet school right now. So, long story short, I don't think taking classes with a specific focus is completely detrimental. Just make sure that you don't take too many of say human med ones when you want to go to vet school. And honestly, by the time you get to taking these kind of courses (which I would consider upper level electives), you'll probably have a better understanding of the profession and at least know which path you want to take.

Hope that makes sense!

I doubt they'll look at it that way. SnowyRox gave you awesome advice. Make sure you get all the general pre-reqs for both paths - they'll be so much overlap it won't be any 'more' work. During your free time (weekends? all summer?) make sure you spend a fair bit of time getting experience in both professions. Shadow, volunteer, whatever.

When it comes time to apply nobody is going to ding you for having a background in both. They're going to look at it and conclude that you were really trying to determine which path was the right choice.

That does make sense, zanydogz. Right now the only other alternative to Human Bio is Anatomy, so I probably should stop worrying about upper level classes. :laugh:
Awesome, LetItSnow, that's definitely what I needed to hear. You've all been super helpful and I really appreciate it!

Also, I'm considering declaring a Microbiology major next year. Thoughts?

Major in whatever you really like to study. I was a Biophysics major and I must say I really enjoyed having physics classes as a break from all of the chemistry and biology. I have a friend who majored in English and went to vet school I know when we interviewed our unique majors stood out and I think helped us more than anything (mind you we'd both done well in the required pre-reqs). What I'm trying to say is study something you like and get all the pre-reqs you need. If you love Microbiology, study it, but don't study it just to look good to AdComs

I agree with others that you should job shadow A TON to figure out which you prefer. While both human and animal medicine are huge fields with a variety of different employment options, getting an idea of what it's like to be an MD or DVM is helpful. If you can't job shadow, go on a bunch of informational interviews and talk to doctors and vets about their academic journey, their job, the reasons why they wanted to do what they do, what they think the future of their field is, what they think the pros and cons of their field is, etc. Ask them who else you should talk to--chances are they'll know a person who's into X and would be more than happy to chat with you about it.

@ Foxhunter: Biophysics sounds cool! I was considering Micro because it seems interesting, but science majors don't seem very GPA friendly from people I've talked to. It probably sounds corny but I really do love science in general. Microbiology seems a bit more manageable than Neuroscience or Physics. I'm definitely not against working hard, but at the same time I want to keep my 3.5+. What you're saying definitely gives me a lot to think about, though.

@gumtree: Sweet, thanks! I just started volunteering and doing research at a hospital, so I think finding a vet to shadow or an animal clinic/shelter to volunteer at seems like a solid next step.
Can I just say that you've all been really helpful? I like you guys. :)

@TheEvilShoe: I'm jealous that you go to Tufts! I've probably been annoying my parents because whenever someone brings up applications I talk about transferring there for the rest of undergrad. :p It's kinda expensive compared to the other places I'm applying, though. It just seems like a great location.

That's great to know. I never really thought about a unique major to stand out! And I'm definitely glad I found this site. The cat in your avatar is adorable, by the way. Thank you!