New iPad Pro or MacBook for School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azula71

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming 1st year student and was wondering if I should get the new iPad Pro or MacBook for school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should see if your school uses exam software that can be used on either first to be safe if one of them is going to be your only device. I personally would get an iPad Pro. I currently use a ApplePencil compatible iPad and it was really useful for marking up diagrams and notes. Plus, I didn't like the amount of paper I originally was wasting in clinical labs printing out the forms so it was nice to have a digital copy. I know a lot of my classmates also have the iPad Pro and love using it.

I'm an incoming 1st year student and was wondering if I should get the new iPad Pro or MacBook for school?
If you already have a laptop in good working condition with good battery life then get an Ipad, otherwise get the Macbook. Ipad cannot be a laptop replacement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my first quarter of optometry school with just my laptop and id say its almost the same as when I got my ipad in terms of lectures. It all depends on your note taking style and sometimes I switch back to my laptop to type out notes. However, being able to go paperless was such a huge help for me. I felt like everything was much more orderly and organized + it was easier to refer back to assignments quickly. Definitely do not regret getting an ipad, I got an older generation, smaller screen size one and it works fine for me and since all my notes are backed up on drive I didn't need much memory at all.