New Jersey Anesthesia Groups that cover the ICU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any anesthesia groups in NJ that also cover the ICU? Feel free to private message me if you would prefer.

Thank you in advance for posting.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get used to it. 5-10 years and all of them will be either academic or AMC (no big difference, both steal 40% of your income in exchange for nothing).

Honestly, I don't know much about AMCs other than that they seem to be taking over most private practice anesthesia groups. He asked about a group that also covers the ICU that's in NJ. I used to live in NJ and knew about them and also met that director at a SOCCA meeting once.

I'm a current CCM Fellow. The way things look, I think I may end up staying on in academics for a bit til I see where the wind blows. PP seems like it's got it's share of BS to deal with. At least in academics I know where the stink comes from.

Reactions: 1 user
great thanks for the help guys. What about the group that covers Morristown Memorial Hospital?

You should look at St Barnabus hospital. If you do hearts, the cardiac anes guys run the CT ICU and do cases. They do really well (but they work ALOT). Maybe you could work out something where you're covering the ICU and doing non cardiac cases (if you don't want to do hearts). That may be an option for you.

I mentioned the group that covers Barnabas in the other NJ thread. Again 2nd hand info but apparently they have 3 year partner track but no one they have recently hired has gotten to that point b/c they all quit after a year or so. Be forewarned

I did my anesthesia rotation among other rotations as a med student at st barnabas. I'm surprised to hear about people quitting before making partner. It seemed like a nice place to work unless things have changed in the last couple of years. Thanks again for all the heads up.

Is it easy to go from fellowship to just OR then finding a combined gig later on or will this negatively impact my chances of doing ICU in the future? The job market right now in the NY/NJ looks tough for a combined ICU/OR position

You can always do the 7 on/off icu and use the week off moon light or do partime elsewhere

Honestly, I don't know much about AMCs other than that they seem to be taking over most private practice anesthesia groups. He asked about a group that also covers the ICU that's in NJ. I used to live in NJ and knew about them and also met that director at a SOCCA meeting once.

I'm a current CCM Fellow. The way things look, I think I may end up staying on in academics for a bit til I see where the wind blows. PP seems like it's got it's share of BS to deal with. At least in academics I know where the stink comes from.

The issue with private practice and ICU is that ICU doesn't pay anything so it's a money drain on a private group. And since they are a private group, they are in business to make money. The only groups you tend to find that cover ICU + OR in private practice are ones that have such a great payer mix that they are just doing the ICU to keep the hospital happy so they can keep the lucrative OR contract or groups that receive a stipend to help cover the ICU.

Nobody makes much doing just ICU care.

The issue with private practice and ICU is that ICU doesn't pay anything so it's a money drain on a private group. And since they are a private group, they are in business to make money. The only groups you tend to find that cover ICU + OR in private practice are ones that have such a great payer mix that they are just doing the ICU to keep the hospital happy so they can keep the lucrative OR contract or groups that receive a stipend to help cover the ICU.

Nobody makes much doing just ICU care.

I partially agree. If you are a group that is tyring to take over contracts in your area you can say this to administration to snatch the contract...

Our group does:

Peds, CT, Pain, OB, Trauma and.... CC

What other groups in town can provide that service? Administration may like this spin on things.

As a group, you want to be seen in every corner in the hospital in order to weather the storms.

CC can be a good thing, but you need the right circumstances for it to work in favor of the group.

Is it easy to go from fellowship to just OR then finding a combined gig later on or will this negatively impact my chances of doing ICU in the future? The job market right now in the NY/NJ looks tough for a combined ICU/OR position

American Anesthesia has taken over several contracts near your area and they are looking for anesthesia/icu.

Take a 50/50 job so you can develop your OR and ICU skills. An ICU only job will only lead to burnout and you'll have difficulty transitioning back to the OR. An OR only job and you've wasted your fellowship-nobody will hire you for ICU if you haven't practiced in several years.

There is potential to make some money in CC in the right setting/practice. Let's say hypothetically you work as an intensivist and manage 10 pts daily in the unit (which is reasonable), M-F, no weekends. Critical care management is 8 units for the first 30-74 min. Add 4 units for each additional 30 min. So let's say the average is 10 units per pt. 10 x 10= 100 units a day (and this is not even including billing for any of the procedures done on these pts). Let's say you get $30 per unit where you work. 30 x 100= $3000 per day, 66k per month = 700k with 6 weeks vacay.

That's probably what you get, if you are self-employed. I doubt you bill $30 per unit.

Most hospitals now want 24/7 physician coverage. Most night work is not reimbursed which is why pretty much every ICU group needs some sort of subsidy.