New Kid on The Block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulPhysician

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Y'all!

I am new to this forum. Lately I have been hanging out in the DO/MD forums. For the past 9 months I have been working as a research assistant in a pediatric residency program through UCSF. I was previously solely interested in pursuing a medical degree. But after some life changing events and doing quite a bit of self-reflection, I have come to find that I LOVE the public health research that I am currently doing. I originally did it as a way to get some "research" experience and to put something on my resume. But after working in this program for almost a year, I have now realized that this is where my true passion lies.

Quick Facts
- Intern @ MD Anderson Cancer Center (Summer 2015 - experimental pediatric oncology)
- Summer Program Advisor for high school girls @ Baylor College of Medicine (Summer 2015)
- Freshman/Transfer Mentor's Assistant @ my undergrad university (3 amazing years)
- Lab Tech @ my undergrad university (4 years)
- Science Lab Coordinator/Pre-Med Club Advisor/Transfer Student Mentor (Aug 2016 - ?)
- Research Assistant @ UCSF Fresno Pediatric Residency Program (Feb 2016 - ?)

I have always had a thing for leadership roles and helping others. But after some talks that I have had with my mentors as well as some soul searching, I don't think MD/DO is the right route for me at this moment in my life. This is not to say that in the future I will not pursue those degrees. For the first time in my life I want to pursue my interests. I believe that by pursuing a MPH I will be able to have my leadership abilities cultured and sharpened as well as be provided with the knowledge and skill set necessary to become a beacon of hope and change in my community.

Members don't see this ad.