New MCAT - application delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podiatrytime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! My original plan was to have everything ready and apply in August (earlier I apply, higher my changes are for an interview). However, since I got a 22 on the old MCAT, I've decided to study for the new one this summer. I now plan to take the exam in August...but since it takes a month for the scores to come in, what are my changes for interviews/acceptance if I submit the application towards the end of September/early October?

cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 2.97

750+ hours – medical volunteering experience
6 months – DPM shadowing
2 semesters of independent research
University Honors
Medical Mission - Russia (2 weeks)

I know I posted my stats on the "Offical Pre-Pod What Are My Changes" thread a while back but I'd like to know if waiting a month or two would make a big difference.

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you apply early in the cycle, you should be good without retaking the MCAT. Where do you plan on applying?

I think if you apply early in the cycle, you should be good without retaking the MCAT. Where do you plan on applying?

You think so? I'm planning to retake it so that it balances out with my sGPA. I plan to apply to all 9 schools but I'm hoping to get interviews from Kent, Scholl, and DMU (and DMU is my top choice). I'm sure my sGPA is way below average for DMU though.

Members don't see this ad :)
You think so? I'm planning to retake it so that it balances out with my sGPA. I plan to apply to all 9 schools but I'm hoping to get interviews from Kent, Scholl, and DMU (and DMU is my top choice). I'm sure my sGPA is way below average for DMU though.
DMU may be a stretch, but Kent and Scholl are very realistic options for you. Both have large class sizes and usually are able to accept a wider variety of applicants because of this. I would apply in August first, and only retake the MCAT if your choice of schools recommend it. I hope this helps. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
If your heart is set on DMU, then make the extra effort to get a better MCAT score. If you're okay with Scholl or Kent, I also agree that you don't need to retake. If you do end up retaking it, still apply right away in August, at least you'll get all the verifying out of the way and would just be waiting on the MCAT score.

Glad to know that I have a change of getting in somewhere with my current stats.
I think I'm still going to give the MCAT another try. At the end, if I don't get an interview from DMU...at least I won't have any regrets.

PodZilla, thanks so much for the advice. I could start working on the application and get the verification out of the way.