New mcat study plan & Questions- please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asigna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm planing to take he new mcat in April/may 2015 because I haven't taken physics yet. That being said, I'm planning on studying from This august til then, so about 8-9 months. I'm doing this because I have school and I have to space it out. Plus there are new sections involved in new mcat.

I have a couple of questions:

1) since I have a HUGE amount of time between august and test day, what is a good way to go through everything and not forget it with such a big time frame?

2) is it ok to have such a big time frame? (Not that I really have a choice). I'm planning to do like 2-4 hrs a day and a ton on weekends/ with any spare time. I'll be constantly reviewing as well.

3) even though mcat is changing, can some previous material be used, such as subject books? Would the material be the same or very similar for let's day, bio or orgo? If not, at least verbal reasoning for practice at least? I've heard good things about examcrackers and would use their material to practice if applicable. All I have down to prep that I will be planning to use is the new mcat Kaplan set and the new mcat Princeton review which come out in July.

I know not much detailed info or study methods are out for new mcat but could I have some suggestions or advice? Anything helps!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar boat as you are, and I just talked to my school's pre-med advisor asking the same questions. She said that the verbal section would likely remain unchanged or only differ slightly, and that older prep materials would still be of value. However, the physical sciences sections seems to be getting remodeled with a biological focus in mind, so it's likely that there will be larger variations. I myself don't anticipate taking it till later with the hope that stronger prep material will be published by that time.

I'm in a similar boat as you are, and I just talked to my school's pre-med advisor asking the same questions. She said that the verbal section would likely remain unchanged or only differ slightly, and that older prep materials would still be of value. However, the physical sciences sections seems to be getting remodeled with a biological focus in mind, so it's likely that there will be larger variations. I myself don't anticipate taking it till later with the hope that stronger prep material will be published by that time.

When do you think you will start studying/ taking the new exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
When do you think you will start studying/ taking the new exam?
I will likely start studying December of 2015 and throughout the semester, with anticipation to take it in May of 2016. Yes, much later than you of course, but I will likely be taking a gap year after I graduate. Hopefully that one semester will afford me with thorough studying, if I apply at least 3 hours a day to it.