New Med School in CA... Legit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjfarrell21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I was scribing today, one of the scribes I work with mentioned that there was going to be a new medical school across from Arrowhead Regional (Colton, CA) in Fall of 2016. I questioned whether or not he was correct, but he told me to look it up and low and behold I guess this is true... maybe? Does anyone have any other info about this?
I feel like any medical school opening in CA makes some noise *cough*UCR SoM*cough*, and the doctor I was working with and I hadn't heard anything about this school...

http://medcitynews.com/2014/04/new-medical-school-planned-california/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
News to me. We'll see!

While I was scribing today, one of the scribes I work with mentioned that there was going to be a new medical school across from Arrowhead Regional (Colton, CA) in Fall of 2016. I questioned whether or not he was correct, but he told me to look it up and low and behold I guess this is true... maybe? Does anyone have any other info about this?
I feel like any medical school opening in CA makes some noise *cough*UCR SoM*cough*, and the doctor I was working with and I hadn't heard anything about this school...

http://medcitynews.com/2014/04/new-medical-school-planned-california/

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought there was another one trying to open near sacramento area too

Why is that? More schools the better right?
You intrigue me.

More medical schools does not equal better. All they do is lead to the coming storm of medicine turning into law. If medicine is to preserve its prestige and high standards it must be hard to get into and those that get in must be smart. Less schools encourage this. New veterinary schools that have just opened are not the best and the GPA and stats of people are pretty embarrassingly low. Same for osteopathic medicine. It needs to be difficult to get into medical school.

Also with little to no increase in residency spots all this is doing is making it harder and harder for students to get the residencies and specialties of their choice.

More medical schools does not equal better. All they do is lead to the coming storm of medicine turning into law. If medicine is to preserve its prestige and high standards it must be hard to get into and those that get in must be smart. Less schools encourage this. New veterinary schools that have just opened are not the best and the GPA and stats of people are pretty embarrassingly low. Same for osteopathic medicine. It needs to be difficult to get into medical school.

Also with little to no increase in residency spots all this is doing is making it harder and harder for students to get the residencies and specialties of their choice.
Still, the USMLE will weed out those people anyway. And we already have highly qualified applicants being rejected for random reasons.

I understand your logic though and I agree for the most part.

Why is that? More schools the better right?
You intrigue me.

- Even if they are for profit?
- Even if the quality of their rotations are questionable?

The sad fact is that no matter how bad these schools are, their classes will fill because everyone wants to be a doctor. This is bad for desperate students, who 1) will suffer from lower quality education, and 2) might just not be cut out for medicine in the first place. Just look to the Caribbean to see this in action. Schools should not accept applicants who will not pass the boards. That just leads to crippling debt.

Reactions: 2 users

The sad fact is that no matter how bad these schools are, their classes will fill because everyone wants to be a doctor. This is bad for desperate students, who 1) will suffer from lower quality education, and 2) might just not be cut out for medicine in the first place. Just look to the Caribbean to see this in action. Schools should not accept applicants who will not pass the boards. That just leads to crippling debt.
I bow to your knowledge.

Still, the USMLE will weed out those people anyway. And we already have highly qualified applicants being rejected for random reasons.

disagree. The USMLE is made for US grads to pass. Getting into those competitive fields requires those high scores, scores that get higher every year.

Members don't see this ad :)

YES! People will do whatever they can to get that US MD. It will make all legitimate schools deteriorate by association. At this point, no more new schools please! I know this is wishful thinking, but medicine is going the way of law.

disagree. The USMLE is made for US grads to pass. Getting into those competitive fields requires those high scores, scores that get higher every year.
The latter statement proves my point though. Incompetent people who have lower scores don't match, regardless of which school they go to. We can both agree on this point.

Are you just trying to argue with me? I'm not in the mood. . . : (

The latter statement proves my point though. Incompetent people who have lower scores don't match.

Are you just trying to argue with me? I'm not in the mood. . . : (

They will match though somewhere pushing IMGs out. More people in general means more people with high scores that are competitive for said specialties and thus an overall increase in competition to those schools. Making new schools constantly is an awful way to fix this issue. Another caveat is that unless you go to a top medical school regardless of your board scores you will not be able to go to a top residency program. Back in the day good scores anywhere could make you competitive. This seems to be increasingly less true.

Problem with using the USMLE to weed people out is you'll have students with a large debt load of non-dischargeable loans who now won't even have an MD degree and no way of paying for it. It's best to keep the rejection at the premed level as to avoid something this catastrophic from happening.

The only reason I disagree (in a small way) with you about this is because of the necessity of post-graduate education. Since opening up residency slots requires money and you can't charge the residents for educating them, then there will always be a bottleneck and thus a sort of "preventative" measure for turning the job market similar to the law environment and I doubt the government will increase funding for GME. Even if they do, they would only increase it for primary care positions, which any USMD can easily achieve. But I agree that increasing the number of medical schools this drastically does nothing positive for the profession since it doesn't really add on any new physicians, rather it just displaces IMGs from those residency spots. And you can bet a lot of these students at the newer schools will be gunning for the competitive specialities and not necessarily for primary care positions. But the media loves to say how much of a shortage of doctors there is and the general public assumes more medical schools = more physicians to solve this problem and I don't necessarily blame them for making that mistake since for almost every other profession, more schools would equal more of those professionals.

Reactions: 3 users
They will match though somewhere pushing IMGs out. More people in general means more people with high scores that are competitive for said specialties and thus an overall increase in competition to those schools. Making new schools constantly is an awful way to fix this issue. Another caveat is that unless you go to a top medical school regardless of your board scores you will not be able to go to a top residency program. Back in the day good scores anywhere could make you competitive. This seems to be increasingly less true.

School name helps, but what you posted is an exaggeration.

School name helps, but what you posted is an exaggeration.

I posted it as an exaggeration. Certainly did not mean it was end all. I meant that it becomes very difficult. Another sdner has a forum about this live now.

I posted it as an exaggeration. Certainly did not mean it was end all. I meant that it becomes very difficult. Another sdner has a forum about this live now.

Link if you don't mind.

Most accepted students coming from California (UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UCLA, USC, Stanford, etc) with a few coming from other notable schools such as BYU Provo, MIT, and more. Average MCAT score of accepted students over 34 and only 60 students were accepted.
I refuse to believe anything you just said. Proof please.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll believe the numbers once they appear in MSAR. But if we take at face value what was posted in this forum (in the this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...s-accreditation.1142846/page-20#post-16782089) for ~10-15 acceptees, CNU's LizzyM score is at the bottom of the private schools, at ~67.7. This is only slightly above CCOM, AZCOM and Touro-CA.

Being a CA school, one can expect a decent number of matriculants from CA; CA is a net exporter of med students after all, and most of them would prefer to stay closer to home, if given the chance. It's no coincidence that the two CA DO schools are at the top in stats for DO schools.

How many threads are you going to post this shilling in, anyway?
  1. California Northstate University College of Medicine started its first class this Fall 2015 semester. Most accepted students coming from California (UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UCLA, USC, Stanford, etc) with a few coming from other notable schools such as BYU Provo, MIT, and more. Average MCAT score of accepted students over 34 and only 60 students were accepted. Currently accepting applicants for the 2016 cycle through AMCAS!

I'll believe the numbers once they appear in MSAR. But if we take at face value what was posted in this forum (in the this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...s-accreditation.1142846/page-20#post-16782089) for ~10-15 acceptees, CNU's LizzyM score is at the bottom of the private schools, at ~67.7. This is only slightly above CCOM, AZCOM and Touro-CA.

Being a CA school, one can expect a decent number of matriculants from CA; CA is a net exporter of med students after all, and most of them would prefer to stay closer to home, if given the chance. It's no coincidence that the two CA DO schools are at the top in stats for DO schools.

How many threads are you going to post this shilling in, anyway?
  1. California Northstate University College of Medicine started its first class this Fall 2015 semester. Most accepted students coming from California (UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UCLA, USC, Stanford, etc) with a few coming from other notable schools such as BYU Provo, MIT, and more. Average MCAT score of accepted students over 34 and only 60 students were accepted. Currently accepting applicants for the 2016 cycle through AMCAS!

Looks like our efforts to dissuade the incoming class were ineffective :(

CNUCOM: the Johnny Manziel of med schools. It's new, it could be the next big thing, or it could be a total bust.

I didn't apply there, but I'm not rooting for or against them, either way.

hmmm. Can't answer that one.

My question is which medical school came along to revolutionize medical education but instead was a worthless pile of crap? Who is the Jurgen Klinsmann of medical education?

Last edited:
YES! People will do whatever they can to get that US MD. It will make all legitimate schools deteriorate by association. At this point, no more new schools please! I know this is wishful thinking, but medicine is going the way of law.
did you skip the part where US is expected to face a shortage of physicians in the future?

Nah, it's the" keeping up with the kardashians" of medical schools. It just needs to go away.
98f.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users