New member intro, where do I stand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KPC84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Sorry for the long post but I really need some advice here. I'm 25 years old, I graduated from undergrad with a pre-med major and psychology minor back in 2006. After I graduated I spent a year working for Genzyme in Boston doing microbiological labwork, but I didn't get my name on anything published. Since 2007 I have been working at my dad's orthotic and prosthetic practice. My responsibilites include treating walk in patients with "off the shelf" orthotic devices. Also I evaluate for, fabricate, and treat patients with custom foot orthotics. I see patients in a variety of settings including our offices as well as hospitals, nursing homes, inpatient rehab facilities, etc.

I took all this time off because my GPA was not very good when I graduated, and my confidence was shaken terribly. I just started to retake classes this past spring. Long story short, I still have 3 classes I want to retake to get rid of all my C's, however I won't be done until spring semester next year. Will that be too late to apply for fall of 2010? My MCAT score is also older than 3 years, and I'm aware that I will have to retake that as well, I'm thinking the April exam in 2010.

Can anyone give me a critique of where I stand? The strongest part of my application will be my work experience. Through my dad's connections I've been able to cultivate good relationships with many DPM's in and around Boston. I've seen multiple surgeries, and been allowed to shadow doc's pretty much whenever I want. All of which have promised me stellar letters of recommendation, at least 4 right now.

Also, when completing the AACPM online applications, what is the procedure for calculating GPA with classes you have retaken? For example, if I got a C- in orgo but retook it and got a B, do I still need to include the C-?

Once again, sorry for the long post. My life ambition has always been to be a surgeon. Everything I have done academically and professionally has prepared me for this. I'm not one dimensional by any means, but this is all I want to do. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
-Kurt

Members don't see this ad.

Your going to have to wait longer than an hour for replies, at least on the pod forums.

To answer your questions. You can take the april mcat, most schools have a cutoff in May. And you can apply in spring as well as most schools have a deadline also in may, some even in June. However, classes may be full and you might not have a chance. It is not uncommon from what I have heard to get a condition acceptance. You can apply early and if your stats looks promising they will accept you on the condition that you get a certain score on the MCAT. Best thing to do would be to contact the schools and discuss your application options and prospects.

Also, about retaking classes, you have to average your grades. If you got an A and a B your gpa will be a 3.5. It will reflect an average of two grades recieved. This is very common with most graduate and professional degree programs IE: MD. JD... and so on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your going to have to wait longer than an hour for replies, at least on the pod forums.

To answer your questions. You can take the april mcat, most schools have a cutoff in May. And you can apply in spring as well as most schools have a deadline also in may, some even in June. However, classes may be full and you might not have a chance. It is not uncommon from what I have heard to get a condition acceptance. You can apply early and if your stats looks promising they will accept you on the condition that you get a certain score on the MCAT. Best thing to do would be to contact the schools and discuss your application options and prospects.

Also, about retaking classes, you have to average your grades. If you got an A and a B your gpa will be a 3.5. It will reflect an average of two grades recieved. This is very common with most graduate and professional degree programs IE: MD. JD... and so on.

Well said, but I believe that the AACPM takes the higher of the two repeated grades.

They average two grades. It says so directly on the AACPM web site. Only DO schools take the higher of the two grades. Good luck.

Do you have a link to where it says that? I've been all over the AACPM website and I can't seem to find where it says that. I've also started the application process and I can't seem to find an answer there either.

Honestly... I think you'll be okay. I am 25 right now, took a few years off to do clinical research in pediatrics, had a few C's on my transcript that i wasn't able to retake. Average GPA and MCAT scores. I applied in early March and was accepted mid April of this year.

I would try for an earlier date for you mcat if you can... maybe February or March... just so you can get the score put on your application and then it won't delay the process. GOOD LUCK!

Honestly... I think you'll be okay. I am 25 right now, took a few years off to do clinical research in pediatrics, had a few C's on my transcript that i wasn't able to retake. Average GPA and MCAT scores. I applied in early March and was accepted mid April of this year.

I would try for an earlier date for you mcat if you can... maybe February or March... just so you can get the score put on your application and then it won't delay the process. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks man. Still if anyone could confirm if they average or replace when calculating final GPA's, that would be appreciated.

Like I said, my grades are average, I'm hoping my shadowing, LOR's, and experience will boost me up.

Thanks man. Still if anyone could confirm if they average or replace when calculating final GPA's, that would be appreciated.

Like I said, my grades are average, I'm hoping my shadowing, LOR's, and experience will boost me up.
I can't find it on aacpm anymore, but you could always call an admissions office and ask.

Hey man where did you end up going btw?

They average two grades. It says so directly on the AACPM web site. Only DO schools take the higher of the two grades. Good luck.

Well technically they include BOTH grades on the application so the math does average the grades BUT make sure to list all grades on your application and specify re-takes...the application shows you how to do this.

I am half way done with my pre-reqs and I am aiming for AZPOD, i visited the campus today and was pretty happy with that I saw today.