New Nebraska and Mississippi programs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babyjbobby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the deal is with these new programs? Hear anything at all about them? Will they be participating in the match this year? Too risky to join a brand new residency???

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote to U of Mississippi a while back asking about their new program at the email address they posted on another thread but never received a response. Also, isn't UC San Diego suppose to be developing a new residency program as well, I'm sure once they get going it will be nearly impossible to get into that place.

Just found this on Mississippi website

http://publicaffairs.umc.edu/center_view/051010/radonc_residents.html

"The first two residents of the Department of Radiation Oncology's newly accredited program will begin training July 1.

Dr. Srinivasan "Vijay" Vijayakumar, professor and chair of radiation oncology, said he has been working toward the goal of a residency program since he joined the Medical Center two years ago. The approval is part of his overall plan for the department to gain regional and national prominence.

"We want to be one of the top 20 departments in the country. Residency, teaching and research are important components of that goal," he said.

Just found this on Mississippi website

http://publicaffairs.umc.edu/center_view/051010/radonc_residents.html

"The first two residents of the Department of Radiation Oncology's newly accredited program will begin training July 1.

Dr. Srinivasan "Vijay" Vijayakumar, professor and chair of radiation oncology, said he has been working toward the goal of a residency program since he joined the Medical Center two years ago. The approval is part of his overall plan for the department to gain regional and national prominence.

"We want to be one of the top 20 departments in the country. Residency, teaching and research are important components of that goal," he said.

Dr. Srinivasan "Vijay" Vijayakumar was department chair at UC Davis until a year or two ago. I have heard positive comments about him from several people in other departments there.