new non-trad applicant seeking wisdom in med school prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsoluteIdealist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take the required courses, take the MCAT, do your volunteer work.
Optimize your mental health.
Scribing is clinical, but it isn't shadowing.
When you can, find a primary care physician to shadow. If that is never possible, talk to the doctors with whom you work about their lives and medicine.
Applying to 100 medical schools is a big waste of money--most state schools take very few out-of-state applicants. Pick 20 or 30 that are realistic options for you (sign up for MSAR so you can see the profiles of all the schools).

Reactions: 3 users
Addressing some of these questions from the perspective of another non-trad who completed apps this spring:

Regarding your personal statement, give it another year or so before you decide what to include. My specific reasons for why I wanted to enter medicine evolved and became clearer over time. Writing it a year or two before my applications would be submitted would have resulted in a much weaker PS.

Do I have to provide two letters from science profs at most schools, or will most schools see it as equally helpful that the letters come from physicians I will have worked with for two years as a scribe, grad school thesis advisor, grad school dept head, undergrad research ream lead?
Many schools state that they 2 letters from science faculty. You could contact the admissions office for schools you're interested in to see if there is any flexibility. However, I would highly suggest prioritizing forming relationships with profs in the remaining science courses you have. The opportunity is there and you can take advantage of that -- try to meet with the prof(s) early and let them know your plans for med schools apps.

Alternatively, my best friend is a philosophy professor who I was classmates with at my undergrad, yet I never took her class; she would write a glowing letter of rec, but would it be ok that she never had me in a class but only was a close friend I intentionally made in undergrad?
I would suggest against this in favor of other letters that can speak directly to your academic/professional capabilities.

Another best friend of mine was a team leader for the volunteer program that I did; but he was also an undergrad. Can I put him as the reference for the volunteers portion of the app? If so, will they ask for his recommendation or just clarification that I did work there, verification etc?
I've read that if admissions contacts someone from the activities section it would be to verify that you did complete the activity and hours listed are accurate.

Should I plan to get a different job after a year in this environment, such as working as a cna or paramedic? Wouldn't they prefer to have me working one on one with physicians for a commitment of two and a half years?
Do what feels right for you and excel at it. Try not to worry too much about the cookie cutter "good medical school applicant" mold, especially with bringing in other experiences as a nontrad, but make sure you have solid reasons for why you want to enter medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.