New Nontrad here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ds1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a prospective nontraditional med school hopeful and I am looking at changing career paths and going to medical school. I was a clinician at a residential substance abuse treatment facility. I know it’s very difficult to get accepted but I want to be a competitive candidate. I’ve learned that medical schools are looking at candidates in a more holistic manner which honestly helps me a bit. I double majored (Psychology/Sociology) in undergrad and got a Masters in Social Work from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

I've heard about candidates with non-science backgrounds but good MCAT scores getting accepted to schools and this is the route I'm most likely going to pursue. I am currently taking core science classes at a local community college and I'm wondering if I'd be better off just going into hardcore MCAT prep (tutor/prep courses) instead?

My undergrad GPA wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t great either (3.07 or something like that). My grad school GPA was pretty good (3.85). Would medical school admissions put more weight in my undergrad GPA or graduate GPA? Interestingly enough there wasn’t much of a science and math requirement for any of those degrees so I didn’t take any of those courses (aside from the gen ed requirements and that was over a decade ago).

I have some other things going for me: I am a veteran (combat) and I also just passed the NASW clinical license exam and have been a practicing LCSW. I have a genuine desire to help others.

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am a prospective nontraditional med school hopeful and I am looking at changing career paths and going to medical school. I was a clinician at a residential substance abuse treatment facility. I know it’s very difficult to get accepted but I want to be a competitive candidate. I’ve learned that medical schools are looking at candidates in a more holistic manner which honestly helps me a bit. I double majored (Psychology/Sociology) in undergrad and got a Masters in Social Work from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

I've heard about candidates with non-science backgrounds but good MCAT scores getting accepted to schools and this is the route I'm most likely going to pursue. I am currently taking core science classes at a local community college and I'm wondering if I'd be better off just going into hardcore MCAT prep (tutor/prep courses) instead?

My undergrad GPA wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t great either (3.07 or something like that). My grad school GPA was pretty good (3.85). Would medical school admissions put more weight in my undergrad GPA or graduate GPA? Interestingly enough there wasn’t much of a science and math requirement for any of those degrees so I didn’t take any of those courses (aside from the gen ed requirements and that was over a decade ago).

I have some other things going for me: I am a veteran (combat) and I also just passed the NASW clinical license exam and have been a practicing LCSW. I have a genuine desire to help others.

Many nontrads here (including me) got accepted to a DO schools with about 3.0GPA or slightly higher, so your GPA is not really an issue. As long as you satisfy minimum GPA cutoffs to schools you are applying - you should be fine. Can't comment about MD schools, but considering your graduate 3.85GPA - I don't see a problem why not try them too.

Now MCAT is more important IMHO and this is where you can really up the game and make yourself competitive for many schools. I took prerequisites like you in community college and after that did a 3 months MCAT prep course + 2 more months self-prep. Because of that I lost a year (was late for application cycle) and had to apply next year, but it helped me a lot to stay organized and I passed MCAT successfully. Got accepted next cycle without issues. Currently doing rotations.

If you are taking science classes to satisfy prerequisite requirements then you have to take them anyway right? So finish that and then start MCAT prep. Schedule it so that you can apply early and broadly. In my case applying early helped a lot. In my school I've seen some stronger than me applicants rejected late in the application cycle due to limited spots left. Schools tend to go easy on early applicants and then they scrutinize applicants more and more towards the end of application cycle. Just my opinion man.

Reactions: 1 user
Many nontrads here (including me) got accepted to a DO schools with about 3.0GPA or slightly higher, so your GPA is not really an issue. As long as you satisfy minimum GPA cutoffs to schools you are applying - you should be fine. Can't comment about MD schools, but considering your graduate 3.85GPA - I don't see a problem why not try them too.

Now MCAT is more important IMHO and this is where you can really up the game and make yourself competitive for many schools. I took prerequisites like you in community college and after that did a 3 months MCAT prep course + 2 more months self-prep. Because of that I lost a year (was late for application cycle) and had to apply next year, but it helped me a lot to stay organized and I passed MCAT successfully. Got accepted next cycle without issues. Currently doing rotations.

If you are taking science classes to satisfy prerequisite requirements then you have to take them anyway right? So finish that and then start MCAT prep. Schedule it so that you can apply early and broadly. In my case applying early helped a lot. In my school I've seen some stronger than me applicants rejected late in the application cycle due to limited spots left. Schools tend to go easy on early applicants and then they scrutinize applicants more and more towards the end of application cycle. Just my opinion man.

Hey thanks for the reply. I spoke with admissions at a number of Illinois medical schools and it sounds like they don't really have prerequisites per se. You need a good MCAT score and be able to demonstrate competencies. How well did you do in those community college prereqs? Is a W better than a low grade? Do schools look down on applicants that have to retake a class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the reply. I spoke with admissions at a number of Illinois medical schools and it sounds like they don't really have prerequisites per se. You need a good MCAT score and be able to demonstrate competencies. How well did you do in those community college prereqs? Is a W better than a low grade? Do schools look down on applicants that have to retake a class?

Ah, I didn't know that. That's even better. Just focus on MCAT then.
I got A's on all my prereqs, but it was easier since I had only 2-3 courses per semester (I was part-time student). It's a lot easier to do then when you have 5-7 full time load.
W is definitely better then a low grade IMHO. I had one W and no one asked me anything about it on interview. I did mention it briefly in my cover letter explaining the reasons for W. In my experience you can always explain things that didn't went as you expected in life/education etc. Especially for us nontrads, admission committees realize we have a bit more on the table to deal with in life and we have more life experience, different circumstances and it's really fine. As long as your story paints a picture of a person who puts effort and tries his best - you won't have any issues with schools regarding retaking courses. But make sure if you retake a course - to get A on it.
IMHO you'll be fine, just work on MCAT and get your application together (LORs, good cover letter, personal statement telling interesting story etc).

Hello all,

Your past experiences will definitely help you- I imagine you'll have a very interesting app and PS and would be very interesting to interview! Focus on knocking the MCAT out- that should be your main goal. Your undergrad GPA should improve if you want to go MD, but I believe for DO it is okay. Unfortunately even with a great grad GPA, they are separated out on the app and so undergrad GPA still matters heavily.

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome my fellow social workers! <3

Your past experiences will definitely help you- I imagine you'll have a very interesting app and PS and would be very interesting to interview! Focus on knocking the MCAT out- that should be your main goal. Your undergrad GPA should improve if you want to go MD, but I believe for DO it is okay. Unfortunately even with a great grad GPA, they are separated out on the app and so undergrad GPA still matters heavily.

Well that is unfortunate because I could get straight A's on a bunch of pre-reqs and it might raise my GPA like .1 - .2. I've had a fair amount of schooling. My undergrad ended awhile ago so I'm hoping they don't hold that against me too much.

Hit up the pre-allo forum. They look at undergrad and grad gpa differently. But rocking prereqs now will so much more for you than your grad gpa unless your grad program was an SMP. Grad gpa is not weighed as heavily. Your undergrad gpa will hold you back unless you take prereqs now and rock them along with rocking the MCAT. In that case, many med schools will weigh your recent work more heavily.

I have a ton of Ws and some Fs from many years ago, but my recent work is a postbacc with a 4.0. I also did well on the mcat, and I am 3/6 so far on IIs with only one flat out R. Just gotta do well now and then apply smartly.

If science GPA is so important, how would someone like a music major without a core science GPA but a good MCAT score get in?

If science GPA is so important, how would someone like a music major without a core science GPA but a good MCAT score get in?

It’s important, but that doesn’t mean you have to have a science background to get in. Your prereq courses all count as your science gpa. Those are what are important. Your overall gpa is also very important.

It’s important, but that doesn’t mean you have to have a science background to get in. Your prereq courses all count as your science gpa. Those are what are important. Your overall gpa is also very important.

I gotcha. Chemistry is harder than I was expecting. Getting back into the swing of classes has been a difficult adjustment for me.

and getting your butt kicked apparently

Very good to know! I am deeply considering taking courses at the community college and not through the post bacc:
1. The cost in the formal program is $360per credit plus an additional $1000 in fees for campus resources I will never use due to all classes are given at night. This would more than likely come out pocket(didn’t even factor in textbooks, oy vey).
2. The upper division courses are only given during the Spring and is contingent upon “demand”. Honestly, the biggest problem for me.

I don’t want to wait a year to take Genetics and then have a glide year.
Their plan would have me take 4 years before starting med school. I understand the whole marathon but if I have to take 4 years before start med school, should I just go for another a Bachelor but in a Science?

2 years, meh, but 4 just for the opportunity to go to med school, idk.

I think taking the pre reqs with maybe Biochem and Immunology is good enough alongside an MCAT prep course should get me a 520(goal).

Well that is unfortunate because I could get straight A's on a bunch of pre-reqs and it might raise my GPA like .1 - .2. I've had a fair amount of schooling. My undergrad ended awhile ago so I'm hoping they don't hold that against me too much.

Yes! It’s like are the As just meant to show competency? Because it can’t be to increase GPAs. It’s like working out for a month to lose maybe 5lbs(b/c you’re building muscle, in our case, knowledge).