New OMFS Match policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BryanD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During a couple of my interviews, I heard from the OMFS directors that there has been a change in MATCH policy. Apparently, now the programs are allowed to call students after the interview and offer them positions before the match date. This was illegal in the past. My question is: Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of MATCH? What do programs gain from this? Why not just rank people and wait? The problem I have with this is that it puts the interviewee at a tough spot. School "B" might not be my first choice, but at the same time I don't want to hurt my chances by telling the director that I am going to wait (he might think, "this guy is not that interested in my program, so I will pass"). On the other hand, if I take the offer, this means, I will not be able to take my chances for my other top choices. What do you all think about this?
*Houston's director, Dr. Wong, hinted several times that they might call people before the match date.

Members don't see this ad.

During a couple of my interviews, I heard from the OMFS directors that there has been a change in MATCH policy. Apparently, now the programs are allowed to call students after the interview and offer them positions before the match date. This was illegal in the past. My question is: Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of MATCH? What do programs gain from this? Why not just rank people and wait? The problem I have with this is that it puts the interviewee at a tough spot. School "B" might not be my first choice, but at the same time I don't want to hurt my chances by telling the director that I am going to wait (he might think, "this guy is not that interested in my program, so I will pass"). On the other hand, if I take the offer, this means, I will not be able to take my chances for my other top choices. What do you all think about this?
*Houston's director, Dr. Wong, hinted several times that they might call people before the match date.

I would take a yes from any program lol

This is a new policy. However, your take on it may not be entirely true. From what my PD told us, Match now allows PDs to inform a candidate whether or not they will be ranked but cannot specify if that ranking is like #1 or whatever else. Not sure why this change now, but I think it does put the candidates and certainly those programs that want to play by the old rule of "honor ranking" at somewhat of a disadvantage.

I highly doubt they can offer their match spots, and if Kundalini is correct it does not change anything. You should still rank them in the order you want them. Understanding the match process is crucial to anyone in it! FYI programs have been doing this for a while (i.e. sending out "we really liked you" type of emails).