New OptomCas Sysytem Issues and Application Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any tips on how to remind a letter writer to upload the letter? I'm waiting on one professor and she doesn't like to be rushed and what not, but I'm afraid she's forgotten about the letter. Is there anyway to do something from OptomCAS to get her to submit it again from the official website so it doesn't look like I'm pushy or rude?

Members don't see this ad.

this has to be another one of their system glitch, remember it's a beta pprogram and and they always working in the background. So, i'd say just try later in the day, and it should be there.
I have the same problem. My transcripts were uploaded a week ago, and they're just missing now :/ Did anyone else's come back after disappearing

this has to be another one of their system glitch, remember it's a beta pprogram and and they always working in the background. So, i'd say just try later in the day, and it should be there.

I've actually been checking like every day..still hasn't come back. :( when I get closer to submitted it I'll probably call them and make sure they have it. I have the notification emails as proof after all..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, last week I got a notification from OptomCAS that they had received all of my transcripts and I was actually able to see a scanned version of what they received when I clicked on the "Colleges Attended" tab. However, the transcripts are now gone. Did this happen to anyone else?

I clicked the "colleges attended" tab and can't see a scanned copy of my transcript... how do you view it? because I received an e-mail saying they got it.

so under transcript I have some courses listed as High school credit that I took at a college. Do I have to enter that in as well?

Hey all, last week I got a notification from OptomCAS that they had received all of my transcripts and I was actually able to see a scanned version of what they received when I clicked on the "Colleges Attended" tab. However, the transcripts are now gone. Did this happen to anyone else?
Same thing happened to me.

this happened to me as-well, I am no longer able to view my official scanned copy that they processed. they got my transcripts on 07/10/14 and are still verifying. in case anyone wanted a heads up.

Do you think its safe to submit an application in soon with all of these glitches going around? Or should I just wait.

Another question - how did you guys distinguish between "optometric experience" and "shadowing?"

Also, for extra-curriculars, do you think it will be ok to be some "non-academic" activities, such as sports?

Do you think its safe to submit an application in soon with all of these glitches going around? Or should I just wait.

I'm going to wait a bit before I submit my application. I'm afraid all these glitches in the system will definitely screw some applicants.

When I entering my courses, optomcas changes the order after each time I save a semester. Example in my transcript, the class order is math 2412, biol 1406, engl 1301. I entering exactly this order but when I save, optomcas changes it to English 1301, biol and then chem. anyone has the same issues? Or does it matter if the courses in a semester has different order as transcript?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I entering my courses, optomcas changes the order after each time I save a semester. Example in my transcript, the class order is math 2412, biol 1406, engl 1301. I entering exactly this order but when I save, optomcas changes it to English 1301, biol and then chem. anyone has the same issues? Or does it matter if the courses in a semester has different order as transcript?

I had the same thing happen, I just left it as it was. I am assuming its okay

I think their system is down again. I don't seem to see anything beside my profile info, anyone having the same problem? I just hate optomcas beta!!!

I haven't fully looked into the application yet, but if you've shadowed other types of doctors (e.x. podiatrist, dentist e.t.c.) is there a place to put this too, or is this useless/doesn't matter?

I haven't fully looked into the application yet, but if you've shadowed other types of doctors (e.x. podiatrist, dentist e.t.c.) is there a place to put this too, or is this useless/doesn't matter?
Yes, technically there is a place for it, you can put those under shadowing. I didn't mention anything other than optometric shadowing though. I'm not sure what others' thoughts on that are.

I feel like the entire system is down. Even calling optomcas is a hassle, they do not pick up.

I received an email from an evaluator today. Apparently they were trying to upload a letter of recommendation and the system would just get stuck on the upload. It allowed them to do the evaluation part, but not the upload part. It says "accepted" on my end, but not "completed". I'm calling them tomorrow. This is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to have someone who is doing a favor for me jump through hoops because they can't get their system to work properly. Has anyone else had this issue? I guess the application says "accepted" until they actually are able to complete and upload a copy of the letter or something.

Edit: I went back to enter in more information from my transcript. The system will not allow me to enter labs in without entering a grade. Literally 6 hours ago I was entering labs in, putting a "0" for the value on "credits" and it would allow me to save. Now it is requiring a grade, which is not possible because the labs are factored in with the class. If you put "0" in for the value of "grade" then it gives you an "F" in the course, which is complete crap. They seriously need to fix this system.

Last edited:
I received an email from an evaluator today. Apparently they were trying to upload a letter of recommendation and the system would just get stuck on the upload. It allowed them to do the evaluation part, but not the upload part. It says "accepted" on my end, but not "completed". I'm calling them tomorrow. This is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to have someone who is doing a favor for me jump through hoops because they can't get their system to work properly. Has anyone else had this issue? I guess the application says "accepted" until they actually are able to complete and upload a copy of the letter or something.

Edit: I went back to enter in more information from my transcript. The system will not allow me to enter labs in without entering a grade. Literally 6 hours ago I was entering labs in, putting a "0" for the value on "credits" and it would allow me to save. Now it is requiring a grade, which is not possible because the labs are factored in with the class. If you put "0" in for the value of "grade" then it gives you an "F" in the course, which is complete crap. They seriously need to fix this system.

You are not alone. We all are on the same boat of trouble. My recommended had the same problem as you. first time, he submitted it was declined automatically, and he spent hours with the OptomCs, which i feel really sorry for him. I had to resubmit the request and finally it was accepted and received.

I do have a question, when I was putting the recommender info before it was asking for recommender's title, job title, name, phone number, email and due date. However, now it's asking for name, email and due date only. Are all of you seeing the same thing as me or this was another one of their glitch!

Does anyone know if the new optomCAS doesn't show anywhere to upload a CV/resume or even your personal statement anymore? I'm not seeing it anywhere :/

Yes, I did completely fill out all my classes.
THEN
when I click on Academic History
I see 3 options under that:
1) Colleges Attended
2) Transcript Entry
3) Standardized Tests

click on
2) Transcript Entry
then click
Review & Finalize My Transcript.
View attachment 182980

I don't see this finalized transcript at all on mine... this new optomCAS is so confusing.

Does anyone know if the new optomCAS doesn't show anywhere to upload a CV/resume or even your personal statement anymore? I'm not seeing it anywhere :/

From the looks of it, you cannot submit anything other than what they ask for. RE: the personal statement, the same question will appear on the "Questions" tab for each school in your "Program Materials" square. Hope that helps.

Does the course order change automatically for anyone else on the transcript? OptomCAS changes the order of my courses when I type or edit them.. and It won't let me move them

Does the course order change automatically for anyone else on the transcript? OptomCAS changes the order of my courses when I type or edit them.. and It won't let me move them

Yep, same thing happened to me when I was filling it out. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure to fill it out exactly at it appears on your transcripts.

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen/done this, but I didn't submit my app for all the schools at the same time since some of them require just the personal statement and others have a bunch of other questions. For those who didn't submit at the same time, did the school you submitted later get stuck on the "awaiting materials" stage under program status?

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen/done this, but I didn't submit my app for all the schools at the same time since some of them require just the personal statement and others have a bunch of other questions. For those who didn't submit at the same time, did the school you submitted later get stuck on the "awaiting materials" stage under program status?

Yes, this just means you are in line to be verified. According to OptomCAS, it can take up to 4 weeks for them to verify your account.

Does anyone have any tips on how to remind a letter writer to upload the letter? I'm waiting on one professor and she doesn't like to be rushed and what not, but I'm afraid she's forgotten about the letter. Is there anyway to do something from OptomCAS to get her to submit it again from the official website so it doesn't look like I'm pushy or rude?

After the due date that I had set for my evaluator had passed, I was able to go back in and reset it. OptomCas automatically sent him another email asking for him to complete the evaluation by the new due date.

Reactions: 1 user
You are not alone. We all are on the same boat of trouble. My recommended had the same problem as you. first time, he submitted it was declined automatically, and he spent hours with the OptomCs, which i feel really sorry for him. I had to resubmit the request and finally it was accepted and received.

I do have a question, when I was putting the recommender info before it was asking for recommender's title, job title, name, phone number, email and due date. However, now it's asking for name, email and due date only. Are all of you seeing the same thing as me or this was another one of their glitch!
Hello! I'm applying with optomcas this cycle and am having the same issue you had where it's only asking me for the evaluators name email and due date. Did you ever get this resolved?

Hello! I'm applying with optomcas this cycle and am having the same issue you had where it's only asking me for the evaluators name email and due date. Did you ever get this resolved?

it's just another computer glitch. They will probably fix it later.

Just an update-- I was able to finally save my personal statements and now all program materials have check marks. I'm hoping this means they've fixed the issues! Good luck to everyone!

Has anyone had trouble with the reapplicant application for this new cycle? I was an applicant last cycle for 2014-2015 but never submitted to the schools. OptomCas confirmed that I would be able to transfer information from last cycle before July 1st. So I logged in after July 1st and wasn't prompted to transfer anything. After emailing back and forth with OptomCas they said July 13 would be when you can transfer for reapplicants and said I should not be affected by logging in prior to July 13. Logged in yesterday and nothing. Emailed them AGAIN and they apologized for being misinformed and said I have to resubmit all my information again. So annoying. Guess I'll have to re-enter everything -_-

Has anyone had trouble with the reapplicant application for this new cycle? I was an applicant last cycle for 2014-2015 but never submitted to the schools. OptomCas confirmed that I would be able to transfer information from last cycle before July 1st. So I logged in after July 1st and wasn't prompted to transfer anything. After emailing back and forth with OptomCas they said July 13 would be when you can transfer for reapplicants and said I should not be affected by logging in prior to July 13. Logged in yesterday and nothing. Emailed them AGAIN and they apologized for being misinformed and said I have to resubmit all my information again. So annoying. Guess I'll have to re-enter everything -_-
They are correct. If you didn't submit your app then you will have to submit and fill everything all over again. It's a painful process but you've to do it!

They are correct. If you didn't submit your app then you will have to submit and fill everything all over again. It's a painful process but you've to do it!

I specified with them that I did not submit my app last cycle and they said I should still be able to transfer my information over. The only issue was that I had logged in prior to July 13 and that jeopardized it. Oh well.. Hope it's more organized for re-applicants next cycle.