New Ortho Residencies - How many will residency positions will open in the next few years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BPPruitt

Reaction score
I am an M1 at a mid-tier US MD program and I am interested in Orthopedic surgery. I have done some research, but wanted some insider information about the trends in new Ortho Residencies. I would like to match to a program near mine or my wife's family (Arkansas/Texas), and somewhat concerned with going unmatched at all.

I understand that residency positions are quite competitive, but over the past few years it seems to have become a little less so, and I'm wondering if that trend will continue. In the 2020 match there were 849 positions with 1,177 applicants, of whom 860 were US MD. Compare that with the 2018 match: 742 positions with 849 US MD applicants. A greater than 10% increase in the number of residency positions over 2 years seems unsustainable, but it seems necessary given the trends in populations (More than 50% of Orthopedic surgeons >55 years old, and a growing patient population means that more Orthopedic surgeons need to enter the job market soon). From 2011-2018 the number of residency positions went from 670-742. From 2018-2020 they went from 742-849. This all happened with US MD applications staying relatively stable from 2011-2020, around 850.

My question boils down to: Will there be new Orthopedic residency programs open in the next few years? And could the speed at which they open be similar to what we've seen in the past few years? Will there be more than 900 ortho residency positions in 2025 when I graduate? Do you have any concrete ideas of new programs that will be opening soon at your institution or others?

Thanks in advance for your kind and thoughtful replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the increased spots you are seeing were the DO orthopedic programs that transitioned to ACGME and thus the NRMP match. 2018 was the last year we had a separate match for all the osteopathic orthopedic surgery positions.

Reactions: 1 user
By 2025 a few new residencies will probably open, but the big jump you saw in the residencies was due to the merger. And it’s still (and will continue to be) extremely competitive, I wouldn’t count on new residencies opening to make it much easier to match

Reactions: 1 users