New prereq's...soc & psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm applying for Fall 15' admissions will I need to complete coursework in psych and sociology, or will I make the cutoff before the MCAT switches? I'm planning on taking it June 2014.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of MD schools have informal requirements for psychology and behavioral sciences in place already. I don't know if DO schools are the same, but I would say that you don't need to take it if you're applying in 2015.

And if you do need them then the schools will tell you after you're accepted anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm applying for Fall 15' admissions will I need to complete coursework in psych and sociology, or will I make the cutoff before the MCAT switches? I'm planning on taking it June 2014.

You're most likely going to take one during your under-grad anyways (for your General Ed requirement) so don't sweat it.

Several DO schools list behavioral science as a requirement.

So what if you were planning on taking the 2014 MCAT for class of 2016? Will the 3 year expiration date still apply or will one have to take the new MCAT anyway?

So what if you were planning on taking the 2014 MCAT for class of 2016? Will the 3 year expiration date still apply or will one have to take the new MCAT anyway?
There's nothing officially said about it, but my understanding is that last time the MCAT changed, they didn't force everyone to retake because they came out with a new one.

If I was in that position I'd try to fire out a MCAT before 2015 even if it meant I took it the summer after sophomore year.

This is true. LECOM and Touro campuses come to mind. MSU too if I recall correctly. A few others perhaps.

MSUCOM doesn't have a psych or behavioral sciences requirement, but they do require Biochem and Genetics.
:bang:

MSUCHM has behavioral sciences requirements though.