New STEP 3 and basic sciences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i know we wont really have a great/full idea of the changes to the exam untill NBME starts to release scores (which they wont until April IIRC).

BUT

There was a lot of rumors/talk about increasing the amount of basic science tested on the STEP 3......... those of you who took the New Step 3 was this your experience? What was the degree of "basic science" type of questions on your exams?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

There was a lot of rumors/talk about increasing the amount of basic science tested on the STEP 3......... those of you who took the New Step 3 was this your experience? What was the degree of "basic science" type of questions on your exams?

I would like to know the answer to this also

So i know we wont really have a great/full idea of the changes to the exam untill NBME starts to release scores (which they wont until April IIRC).

BUT

Thanks in advance.

Not much, to be honest. It didn't seem so different from the UWorld step 3 prep questions (based on old format) or even step 2 CK.

To be honest, I do not find much difference between UWorld practice questions, Step 3, Step 2 CK, or shelf exams. The only difference I was clearly able to appreciate was between Step 1 and all the tests that came after it (above mentioned).

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a decent amount of biostats but it came down to knowing how to use the 2x2 properly and just reading comprehension. As for basic science I had maybe 2 or 3 and it was a joke compared to the step 1 stuff. The only way you'd get those wrong is if you forgot basic mechanisms