MD & DO New to SDN, what are my chances for both MD and DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SailorMercury

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.62 sciGPA: 3.48 nonsciGPA: 3.83
MCAT: plan to take in august

Traditional student
-Hospital volunteering- +100 hours
-President/member of Future Health Professionals (pre-med club) at university -3 years total
-president: 2 years by the end of my undergrad
-member: 1 year
-American Red Cross volunteer (2 years) /coordinator (1 year)
-Community Service with religious organization ICNA and branching organizations (GainPeace, Sound Vision, Helping Hand) since 2007, still an active volunteer/member
-Worked at Allstate (have an insurance license as well) since 2011 -3 years
-Worked at a local ice cream store (1 summer, 200 hours)
-Worked as a Teacher's Aid/Assistance for a summer science programs for kids K-8 (in 2010, 50 hours)
-Shadowed on MD - 50 hours
-Plan to shadow a DO
-Shadowed a physical therapist (only 20 hours though...)
-Tutored in high school for 2 years at tutoring center/tutored peers throughout college on my own time this past year .....not sure how to calculate the total hours
-Dean's Merit Award (scholarship)
-College of Arts and Sciences Merit Award (scholarship)
-NEIU Eagles Performance Award (scholarship)

In addition to "chancing me," let me know if there is/are something(s) I shouldn't include on my application from this list because QUALITY beats QUANTITY.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on your MCAT, I think you have decent shot with MD

If you go to NEIU, I think your sGPA is slightly too low... What have you been scoring on MCAT practice tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN, friend. I'll give my opinion, but just as an FYI, there is a sub-forum called "What are my chances?". Someone will probably move this thread, but that's alright.

Our stats are very similar (you can see my MDApps profile), but I'd recommend preparing EXTREMELY well for the MCAT. If you have grades on the average side, I feel like writing a strong MCAT the first time (as opposed to retaking several times) will balance your somewhat below-average sGPA. It's nothing to freak out about, but you might consider taking a few post-bachelor science classes if you can afford it.

It seems like you have your ducks in a row as far as extracurriculars are concerned. Keep staying involved, though; it will speak for your commitment to your activities because you enjoy them, not because you want to "improve your application".

Maybe I'm biased because I've been blessed with thousands of hours working in hospitals and nursing homes, but one area that you lack is clinical exposure. Shadowing MDs/DOs is great, but it's my understanding that Adcoms want to know you can WORK in a clinical setting, not just observe. I became a phlebotomist, and it's been a wonderful experience for me. Just my suggestion :)

Good luck to you!

Welcome to SDN, friend. I'll give my opinion, but just as an FYI, there is a sub-forum called "What are my chances?". Someone will probably move this thread, but that's alright.

Our stats are very similar (you can see my MDApps profile), but I'd recommend preparing EXTREMELY well for the MCAT. If you have grades on the average side, I feel like writing a strong MCAT the first time (as opposed to retaking several times) will balance your somewhat below-average sGPA. It's nothing to freak out about, but you might consider taking a few post-bachelor science classes if you can afford it.

It seems like you have your ducks in a row as far as extracurriculars are concerned. Keep staying involved, though; it will speak for your commitment to your activities because you enjoy them, not because you want to "improve your application".

Maybe I'm biased because I've been blessed with thousands of hours working in hospitals and nursing homes, but one area that you lack is clinical exposure. Shadowing MDs/DOs is great, but it's my understanding that Adcoms want to know you can WORK in a clinical setting, not just observe. I became a phlebotomist, and it's been a wonderful experience for me. Just my suggestion :)

Good luck to you!
But you went to a good state school. I think the MCAT will be a good indicator of OP's abilities, but NEIU has one of the lowest graduation rates, partners with community college classes, and many of my premed friends have been unsuccessful coming from there (MCAT/medical school bias?). I think if Loyola's average successful premed GPA is 3.7 (for their own low tier medical school), NEIU's is probably closer to 3.9.

But you went to a good state school. I think the MCAT will be a good indicator of OP's abilities, but NEIU has one of the lowest graduation rates, partners with community college classes, and many of my premed friends have been unsuccessful coming from there (MCAT/medical school bias?). I think if Loyola's average successful premed GPA is 3.7 (for their own low tier medical school), NEIU's is probably closer to 3.9.

Sorry, I guess I didn't even know what NEIU was! OP, maybe taking post-bachelor classes is a good idea. I took a gap year to do a BUNCH of stuff (clinical job, teaching anatomy, taking post-bacc classes). Maybe you could benefit from this is well? My 2 cents' worth.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, I guess I didn't even know what NEIU was! OP, maybe taking post-bachelor classes is a good idea. I took a gap year to do a BUNCH of stuff (clinical job, teaching anatomy, taking post-bacc classes). Maybe you could benefit from this is well? My 2 cents' worth.
I definitely think the MCAT will be a good indicator of whether or not a postbacc is necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
cGPA: 3.62 sciGPA: 3.48 nonsciGPA: 3.83
MCAT: plan to take in august

Traditional student
-Hospital volunteering- +100 hours
-President/member of Future Health Professionals (pre-med club) at university -3 years total
-president: 2 years by the end of my undergrad
-member: 1 year
-American Red Cross volunteer (2 years) /coordinator (1 year)
-Community Service with religious organization ICNA and branching organizations (GainPeace, Sound Vision, Helping Hand) since 2007, still an active volunteer/member
-Worked at Allstate (have an insurance license as well) since 2011 -3 years
-Worked at a local ice cream store (1 summer, 200 hours)
-Worked as a Teacher's Aid/Assistance for a summer science programs for kids K-8 (in 2010, 50 hours)
-Shadowed on MD - 50 hours
-Plan to shadow a DO
-Shadowed a physical therapist (only 20 hours though...)
-Tutored in high school for 2 years at tutoring center/tutored peers throughout college on my own time this past year .....not sure how to calculate the total hours
-Dean's Merit Award (scholarship)
-College of Arts and Sciences Merit Award (scholarship)
-NEIU Eagles Performance Award (scholarship)

In addition to "chancing me," let me know if there is/are something(s) I shouldn't include on my application from this list because QUALITY beats QUANTITY.
Your activities look good, and I'd include them all, adding perhaps a Hobbies or Artistic Endeavors entry. Have you considered getting in a Research activity?

Considering that September would be on the late side for schools to get your application (including UIC if you're an Illinois resident), I would hope your plan is to apply early summer 2015, by which time you could potentially get your BCPM GPA up to have a better shot at MD schools (and add some research, even if only one terms' worth).

Your chance at DO med schools, assuming an MCAT score of 25+ is pretty good this year for somewhere, as their application season runs later, if you get the DO shadowing done and acquire an LOR.

How are your practice MCAT scores so far?

Well if you score around a 27, you're good for any DO

That's not true.

Touro NY was 30.8 last year, Touro CA was 30, and CCOM is 3.6 and 29 just for a couple quick examples.

A 27 is definitely not a shoe-in for any and every DO school anymore and there are many with regional preferences. A score around 27 will get you in, but it won't necessarily be pick and choose.

That's not true.

Touro NY was 30.8 last year, Touro CA was 30, and CCOM is 3.6 and 29 just for a couple quick examples.

A 27 is definitely not a shoe-in for any and every DO school anymore and there are many with regional preferences. A score around 27 will get you in, but it won't necessarily be pick and choose.

Oh nice. DO is mimicking lower tier MD schools. Well that answers it. 30 it is