**Edited some typo* WAMC??? Applying to both DO/MD for the 23-24 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sara Larson

Reaction score
Hello! Hoping to get some advice on my application. Unfortunately I don't have research experience but these are my other application details
  • WI resident (I'd really like to go out of state, I hate it here)
  • 23F, hispanic [if that is relevant]
  • 3.6 cGPA [significant climb throughout my undergrad years]
  • Graduated from University of WI-Milwaukee, B.A. in Bioloigcal Sciences in 2022 [cum laude]
  • I took a gap semester due to mental health reasons and burnout but got back on track
  • Tutor experience [2 semesters at a predominantely spanish school]
  • I'm bilingual (Spanish)
  • Volunteered abroad and locally in medical and nonmedical settings [100ish hours]
    • 10 day international trip to guatemala setting up free clinics in rural cities
    • created a protocol to help ER Staff identify and treat human trafficking victims at one of the hospitals I worked at [volunteered but paid, took a couple months to develop and implement]
    • play piano every christmas at local assisted living facilities
  • EC's are playing piano, baking, reading, and gem hunting
  • I had to work all through high school and college so i have thousands of patient contact hours and great LORs from an MD and RN that i worked closely with for years
    • Neurosurgical CNA for 1.5 years - 20hrs/wk
    • ED Tech for 3.5 years - 28hrs/wk [got a lily award]
    • Travel ED Tech - 36hrs/wk [at my travel assignment I was the first technician there and helped develop the position with management, we now have around 3 tech's that I'm orientating]
  • I shadowed 2 ER docs and 1 Neurosurgeon [80ish hours]
  • I maintained good relationships with my teachers and advisor so i have good LORs
    • 2 from science professors and 1 from my pre-med advisor
  • took the MCAT twice
    • first time 496 [chem/phys 125, CARS 123, BB 126, Psych/soc 122]
    • second time 503 [chem/phys 125, CARS 124, BB 127, Psych/soc 127]
Do I have a realistic chance? I'd rather go to an MD school, I've heard a lot about residency match difficulties if I were to take the DO route. I want to specialize in Pediatric EM or Surgery?? Not sure yet, but I love critical care and I love pediatrics.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm working on 5 DO secondaries and 1 MD secondary but haven't submitted anything yet. I went through a rabbit hole on reddit and sdn and now I'm second guessing the schools I want to apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Creighton
TCU
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Einstein
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
I suggest these DO schools:
CCOM
AZCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
WVSOM
Noorda-COM

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the list! I am working on my secondaries for these schools
DO:
ATSU-SOMA
WVSOM
CUSOM
MWU AZCOM
PNWU COM

MD:
George Washington
My app is still waiting to be reviewed so I haven’t received any other secondaries