New to the forums, and wondering how important the school you attend for pre-med is?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kashmirpirate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm 20 and live with my grandmother but I commute a 40 minute drive to St Petersburg College...the last two years I've taken it easy trying to decide what path I really feel I want to take in life...and my calling to medical school has become stronger. I love Biological sciences so that would have been my major anyway. I have some interesting family dynamics and I would prefer to stay here at home living near my family while I attend college and work as a CNA, along with my weekly volunteering at Catholic Charities...it seems like I have everything set for me and all I gotta do is roll with the punches and work hard studying for my pre-med classes and my MCAT. I really want to get my bachelors degree in Biology at St Petersburg College because they offer the program and its perfectly convenient....I wouldn't have to take out any student loans because I get a full ride on the Pell Grant...However, if I had to transfer to USF...I have no clue how I'd be able to finance it without student loans and I just don't feel good about doing that. I'm a very studious person and I feel like you get of the courses what you put into them. Would getting a Biology Degree at SPC vs a University dramatically hurt my chances of getting into any in-state Medical schools? My top choice schools would be all the Medical Schools in the state of Florida.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA, MCAT, and extracurriculars are all more important than your undergrad institution.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't use a real picture of yourself on SDN if that is one. As others have stated, the undergraduate institution you attend is not critical, but it can be a factor.

Kashmir Pirate? Sounds like a stripper name.

Like others in this thread have stated, admission committee members will take a holistic evaluation of your application. Incidentally, you haven't really named any schools that would otherwise give you any leg up during admissions, so don't sweat it.

I'll reiterate for emphasis; your GPA, MCAT score(s) and ECs are all the things that make you competitive. Do well at whatever school best fits you and your budget.

If that is you in your profile picture, we suggest you remove it for purposes of privacy.

Only if you are aiming for a top 20 then coming from a top 50 is beneficial, but even then exceptions exist.

Only dubiously more than the junior high or high school you attended and somewhat less than the medical school you attend.

(The only one that really matters anyway is the residency program from which you graduate and if you do well in medical school, that is what will "place" you. There is an undesirable student at Yale. I won't say who, but there is one*.)

* Statistically, this is simply a truism. I don't actually know him/her, but if I did...