New to this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onres

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been considering pursuing an MD/MBA for some time, but I figured it was best to focus on getting into an MD program before worrying an MBA. The problem is I never took a single business course and have no prior experience in business. I have to admit my interest began because I read about MD/MBA programs and I appreciate the usefulness and their place in health care. How can I learn more about this? What can I do to determine if this is something that is worth pursuing for me? I'm sorry if this post somehow offends anyone, at this time I have no one to ask about this. I know come august I should be able to get some insight on this, but for now any input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in your same shoes. Never took a single business course in college.

Start with the MD. Then, as you gain experience, you'll decide if business also fits into your professional goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
asdfas

Last edited:
Research this well before jumping in. Most people I know that did this regret it. It takes time away from your MD studies and does not increase your salary.

FWIW, I've gotten the opposite reaction from the MD/MBAs I've worked with -- that said, they've mostly been people who are currently working in part time hospital admin / part time clinical position, so they're using the MBA day-to-day. I think if you were FT clinical it would probably be less useful.

There was a survey floating around about physicians who did MD/MBAs and perceived utility 5ish years out of residency. The numbers weren't staggering, but overall most of those surveyed said they felt it had been the right decision. I'll see if I can locate that survey, as I think it would be informative.

TexasPhysician is right, though -- having the MBA is not likely to increase your salary unless you end up employed as a hospital administrator. A practice group is not going to offer you extra $$ simply for having an MBA.