New wireless GE ultrasound Vscan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

anyone try this out? how does it compare to butterfly? it's a dual probe

Members don't see this ad.

Never tried this particular one. But the lag on wireless ultrasounds is pretty bad.. would be interested in hearing first hand testamonials.*

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't tried it, but the idea of biplane imaging for lines and blocks sounds great (new butterfly)

Reactions: 1 user
didnt realize there are multiple probes already

Yeah, the second gen (IQ+) came out fall of 2020. The major improvements are in image quality, frame rates, ability to change cables (from USB-C to lightning), and a slightly smaller footprint. It'll be interesting to see how the GE Vscan Air's image quality compares to the Butterfly. Given the cost differential ($2k vs. $4k+), I'm expecting the GE to have better image quality, but how much of a difference that makes in real-world use will be interesting to see.

GE has a website with some sample images. Looks pretty good, although IMO seems like the VScan Air is still a ways off from a standalone Sonosite ultarsound.

The first head to head comparison of image quality between the Butterfly IQ+ and VScan Air is out. The GE is very, very impressive for TTE:

Reactions: 2 users
The first head to head comparison of image quality between the Butterfly IQ+ and VScan Air is out. The GE is very, very impressive for TTE:

True, but the VScan uses blue tooth which is often more touchy than the cable technology the Butterfly uses.

The surgeon I was working with the other day had one on loan / trial from the rep and we were both having fun "playing" with it during a case. It syncs to your phone via bluetooth. The app was nice, worked seamlessly. Apparently it can upload scans to PACS. Resolution, both temporal and spatial, were subjectively pretty comparable to the usual sonosite. Color and doppler looked normal. The main issue I saw immediately were that the beam width is quite narrow. I had crisp TTE views on a skinny patient, but had to scan back and forth to "see it all" (could barely fit LV apex and mitral valve onto the same image) - and that was using the wider curvilinear probe. For vascular access and lung sliding it would be great. TTE works fine but could get annoying with the narrow beam. I wouldn't use it for nerve blocks, especially deeper ones, as any needle in-plane technique would require constant sliding back and forth from needle view to target view.

Everywhere I work has ubiquitous real US machines, though, so I have no incentive to drop $4000 on it. For now it's just an expensive toy. But the technology is pretty cool, and much better than the first-generation devices several years back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
True, but the VScan uses blue tooth which is often more touchy than the cable technology the Butterfly uses.

Agreed. There's something to be said about plugging in a single USB-C cable and having the Butterfly app automatically open, ready to scan.