New York City Programs that are DO friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microscopegal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a 3rd year DO student getting ready for the upcoming application season (or at least trying to get ready for it). I was curious if anyone knew which Neurology programs in NYC are DO friendly (or more importantly, DO unfriendly). I am a competitive applicant with publications, good grades, volunteer experience and stellar USMLE scores, but I am a little worried the whole 'DO' thing holding me back. I will most likely apply to all of the NYC programs regardless, but any insight would be great! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am a 3rd year DO student getting ready for the upcoming application season (or at least trying to get ready for it). I was curious if anyone knew which Neurology programs in NYC are DO friendly (or more importantly, DO unfriendly). I am a competitive applicant with publications, good grades, volunteer experience and stellar USMLE scores, but I am a little worried the whole 'DO' thing holding me back. I will most likely apply to all of the NYC programs regardless, but any insight would be great! Thanks :)

I'm just a M2 but I've looked into this. I don't think there is A DO at any of the bigger names. SUNY-Downstate has a few. Shouldn't stop you from applying though.

Yeah, I'd give a shot at all of them since a DO matching at a name institution is not unheard of in neurology.

In terms of programs that are known to be DO-friendly: In Manhattan proper, Beth Israel's program is DO-friendly. In the outer boroughs, SUNY Downstate is your best bet. Expanding outwards, North Shore and SBU have matched DOs. I'm not too sure about the upstate programs.