New York Medical College (NYMC) vs. Chicago Medical School (RFU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hippocrates2028

Reaction score
I am very lucky to have received 2 As during this cycle. I was set on going to NYMC but got off the Chicago Med waitlist on May 1. I would like to commit as soon as possible. I have been able to tour Chicago Med and really liked it, but have not been able to see NYMC. I am from CA so either school would be a cross-country move. They are both big classes 201 (CMS) and 214 (NYMC) and similar prices 70k (CMS) and 63k (NYMC). Also, both have on-campus housing for M1 and M2.

NYMC
Pros
  • I have a lot of extend family in NY (support system)
  • Affiliation with Westchester Medical Center
  • Very competitive match
  • Rotations through a variety of hospitals in NYC
  • Weather is better.
  • Accessible clinical research and volunteer opportunities
Cons
  • Curriculum change for 2022-2023 (new systems-based curriculum) – working through the kinks still.
  • I hear the school is disorganized.
  • Internal rank
  • The faculty and exams do not teach for the boards and are anti-third-party resources.
Chicago Medical School (RFU)
Pros
  • Facilities and campus were great.
  • Impressive Match
  • I enjoyed the lecture/curriculum structure.
  • Seemed more public-health oriented
Cons
  • Chicago cold and rural location about 1 hour out of the city
  • No personal support system in Chicago
  • Not ranked
  • No central hospital and rotations seem stressful.
  • Most matches are into Midwest residencies.

Summary: Please weigh in with any additional comments about either school/help me decide! I am leaning NYMC because of my family that is there.

Members don't see this ad.

RFU has received so much hate all over Reddit regarding how poor their program is. I’ve only ever heard horror stories from there. NYMC seems much more established if you ask me. I’d go with NYMC for sure

Reactions: 1 users