NEW YORK STATE OMFS INTERNS - DENTAL LICENSING

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFSLakeRat

Reaction score
NEW YORK STATE OMFS INTERNS - DENTAL LICENSING

The New York state board has mandated that all interns must receive a fully credentialed New York State Dental License and that a Limited Permit is no longer acceptable. They are in the beginning stages of checking the legality of all intern positions within the state. This being said, it will leave a substantial void in the licensing process for a NY intern, as most incoming interns will be coming directly from dental school or from another OMFS internship, both of which do not qualify for a New York State Dental License. As it stands, the only applicable way to become licensed for a NY internship is by previous completion of an accredited GPR or 2 years of dental experience outside of the state (endorsement).

I am curious as to how many incoming interns this could affect and what the board plans on doing about this gap in licensure ability. Any information regarding this issue would be a tremendous help.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a source on this news? I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Do you have a source on this news? I can't seem to find this anywhere.
Directly from the NY Dental License processor and board who state that they do not accept a limited permit for any intern positions (they state that they never have and that those that are currently practicing in that capacity are doing so illegally). However, like stated above, there are no other current license options except a full dental license which most do not qualify for. I am starting this conversation, not to stir anything up, but because it has to effect a multitude of current/future interns as well as the programs they intend to work for and needs to be addressed at the board level to give a viable licensing options for this category of student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, wonder what this will mean

Wow, wonder what this will mean
From the conversations I have been privy to, it may mean that as they discover these positions staffed by limited permit interns, they may order the discontinuation of their position and/or backlash on the program.

Curious as to how they plan to address this: Allow an exception clause for intern positions to recieve a one year full dental license or create an entirely new categorical license all together. Unless this is discussed on a collaborative level by NY programs to the board I assume this will continue until programs become penalized.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you mean non-cats specifically? Because from what I can tell, limited permits have existed for people in residency for a while now, and interestingly the state board website even mentions :

"As of January 1, 2010, dental residents in programs approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association are no longer required to obtain a limited permit in order to practice in the residency program"

Do you mean non-cats specifically? Because from what I can tell, limited permits have existed for people in residency for a while now, and interestingly the state board website even mentions :

"As of January 1, 2010, dental residents in programs approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association are no longer required to obtain a limited permit in order to practice in the residency program"
Apologize for any confusion. YES, this is directed at non-cat positions only. Individuals within the residency programs are protected and are not required to obtain a full dental license.

I know some NYC area non-cat positions already require a PGY-1 year in advance, I wonder if that's because this was a rule all along and other programs were just ignoring it or if it was for some other reason.

Reactions: 1 user
How many people go straight from dental school to an oral surgery internship? The ones I have known who did an internship all did a GPR first.

Depends on the area...in the midwest it would be more of a majority going straight into an internship...this could be completely different in other regions.

This is a NYS thing and has been this way for many years. All NYS programs know about this. How they deal with it is up to them.

This is a NYS thing and has been this way for many years. All NYS programs know about this. How they deal with it is up to them.
Any insight into how programs have chosen to deal with this, other then the programs who mandate a GPR?

Is there any update on this situation? Has anyone here been affected by this?

I heard of someone being dropped from Rochester cause of this.