New York University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scottsdale DDS

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I received an invitatation for an interview at NYU a few days ago and need advice if I should accept and schedule it. I am hoping to go to Michigan, but need to keep my options open since there is no guarantee what will happen. I have heard terrible things about NYU, and great things as well. I am looking for honest advice, especially from people who have interview there. Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you all very soon!

Matt

Members don't see this ad.

Quite simply, if you havent heard from Michigan yet, go to the NYU interview.

There are a lot of bad things about NYU. Large class being the main thing that everyone talks about. And yes, alot of people do fail. But you really have to work hard to fail. They give you many many oppurtunities and plenty of help to pass all of your courses. If you do end up failing - you probably shouldnt have been there to begin with. Now, with that said, NYU shouldnt pick so many unqualified people - and beleive me, there are a few unqualified people. I would say roughly 25 people dont make it out of first year. But that is really only about 10% which is average for most schools.
There are some good things too. I like the new curriculum, but I do hate the DVD thing. A lot of clinically relevant stuff early on. Huge patient pool. And its in New York City.

Goatboy,
can you tell me more about the likes and dislikes at NYU. I really want to go there...I'm a reapplicant. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, goatboy i wrote to you in the gpa/dat thread...forgot I asked you before :)

yes, any more pros and cons would be great. i am going to attend the interview. why is nyc a bad thing? i would love to live in manhattan!

NYU is large and seemingly old. However, the school is current;ly undergoing renovation due to our new dean. Dean Alfano has brought a lot of changes to the school, including the new curriculum and new clinic system. The system has bugs in it right now, but like anything new, it has to have problems. The kinks are being worked out right now. The seniors, like me, are suffering. BUt underclassmen are benefiting alot. Due to the new clinic system, third years work with fourth years. Due to this, a lot of third years are able to do endo procedures, crowns, and prostho cases which they are not normally allowed to perform. They have so much clinical experience right now. After the 9/11 incidence, patient pool is down about 40%, but it is slowly picking up. ALl and all, clinical experience is excellent. THe academic course is changing, but from what I experienced, it quite rigorous. Don't think you can come here getting 4.0 GPA or anywhere close to it. YOu work hard, you pass...but not guaranteed superb grades. Depening on your class, people may be very competitive, at times cut throat. BUt hey, that's normal everywhere. As for the facility, it seems old, but each floor is being renovated. There's a new preclicnical lab that's simply gorgeous. A new aesthetics department is being built, due to the contribution of Dr. Larry Rosenthal, the dentist to the star who's tv alot and charges a tremendous amount of $$$ for dental work. Anyhow, expect lots of changes, some bad....but mostly good. Come to NYUCD and check it out for yourself. Oh, the seniors may not have good opinions of the school now cause they are getting the short end of the stick...but they are being experimented on now. THirds years, may have better opinions. ANyhow, good luck.

I have a friend in 3rd year at NYU, and he doesn't seem to mind it. Its just so expensive and so is the cost of living.

Expensive, yes indeed. But I think NYU's tuition is about the same as that of USC, or BU, or TUft...as in any private school I guess. NYU is just more expensive due to the cost of living in MAnhattan. But the experience is well worth it in the city..even if you have to spend the rest of your life paying for it off. :)