Newbie looking for answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gummi B.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first time on the forum (be gentle) and I'm sure that a lot of people ask this question but I have to do it to hear an anonymous person give me his/her realistic opinion: What are my chances if i have a gpa of ~3.10 (cumulative) with a probable lower science gpa since all my "bad" grades are in the sciences? i haven't taken the mcat yet, but i will in august. Anyone? Anyone? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Gummi B. said:
This is my first time on the forum (be gentle) and I'm sure that a lot of people ask this question but I have to do it to hear an anonymous person give me his/her realistic opinion: What are my chances if i have a gpa of ~3.10 (cumulative) with a probable lower science gpa since all my "bad" grades are in the sciences? i haven't taken the mcat yet, but i will in august. Anyone? Anyone? Thanks!

Honestly none of us really know. The process is really random, but the best way you can estimate your chances is to look at average GPAs and MCAT at different schools. If you're roughly in the average, then you probably have a decent chance if you apply to enough places.

Boost your chances by doing volunteer work, shadowing, research, and other extracurricular activities. Generally I'd say apply early and take the April MCAT, but it looks like it's a little late for that.

Your GPA and late application is going to be a serious hurdle. A lot will ride on your MCAT. Apply to a wide range of schools, preferably including DO schools.

Gummi B. said:

Your chances are slim, but it's not impossible. Are you a junior or sophomore? If you do really well from here-on-in, and there's a general upward trend in you grades, and your mcat is good, and you'd be a-okay not going to a top-tier school, you will still have a fighting shot.

You can always consider some post-bacc program, or perhaps pursue a master's. There is no single one-way path to med-school; there are many roads that can lead you there, you just have to find one and start treading. It will take hard work, but never lose hope and keep fighting.

Do not look back on your past and let that bog you down now. The past is gone and you cannot change it - you can only focus on now, and what might be tomorrow, and you must work on shaping that! I speak of this having had two semesters a couple years ago where I did not do too stellar - 3.235 and 3.175 for those semesters. That is not to say these semesters were bad, however that sort of performance on a long run would definitely not be good for med school. I decided not to dread on my poor grades from those semesters (2 C's in chemistry and mostly B's in my other sciences...) and began to focus on the new semesters and worked pretty hard. I saw a good turnover (3.617, 3.567, etc.) and now there is an upward trend in my transcript... the overall is still a tad low, but i hope trends will help offset that to some degree

best of luck to you!

Thanks you guys...i guess i just need to buckle down and do this!!!