Newbie Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Few questions about the field. I looked on some sites but some of the things were inconsistent. :idea:

1) What does it take to become an intern as a pharmacists? And do interns get paid?

2) Estimated how many years would it take to actually get your license? With pharmacy school?

3) Is it true that in Pharmacy school you have to take 9 classes per semester?
b) How does someone manage with 9 classes when most people only take 3-5

4) Does it get easier or harder as you go through each year of school?

I looked online and it said you needed to take a lot of chemistry, biology and math. Whats the highest level for the courses?
And do you NEED to take Physics or is it just recommended?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Depends on the state, and yes you get paid if you work outside school. But you will not get for your intern (aka IPPE/APPE stuff) during school.

2) For most people it is 6-8 years depending on the route you take

3) Number of courses varies significantly by school and the curriculum structure. I'd guess I had generally in the 5-6 range.

4) Easier/Harder would depend on how you adapt the the requirements of being in undergraduate and graduate school and the specific institutions/programs you're in.

5) Prereqs vary from school to school (aka the physics prereq requirement). Here's a sample of prereq requirements from a pharmacy school...

General Chemistry I & II with laboratories (8 semester credits) One beginning course and a continuation course for science majors and pre-health students. Topics should include chemical structure, atomic and molecular properties and thermodynamics. Laboratories will include experiments associated with the lecture and provide experience in observing, recording and interpreting physical and chemical phenomena.
Organic Chemistry I & II with laboratories (8 semester credits)
Lecture courses designed as an introduction and continuation to the study of structure, reactions, properties, and mechanisms of organic molecules. Laboratories that are taken concurrently will illustrate the practical aspects of organic chemistry.
General Biology I & II with laboratories (8 semester credits)
The two semesters should cover the following: the chemistry of biological systems, the structure and function of the cell, cellular energy transformation, genetics, evolution, animal structure and function, plant structure and function and ecology. The laboratories should introduce the basic scientific approach and report preparation through exercises and experiments in cell biology, molecular genetics, evolution, plant and animal anatomy and microanatomy. Courses in botany and zoology with laboratories may be considered as a substitute for general biology or one semester of general biology followed by one semester of botany or zoology. Anatomy and physiology will not be accepted as general biology.
Microbiology with laboratory (4 semester credits)
A survey of distinguishing characteristics of microorganisms based on structural-functional relationships, taxonomy, growth and physical chemical metabolism and genetics. This should include an emphasis on infectious diseases, basic immunology and microbial ecology. Molecular or cellular biology courses will not be allowed as a substitute for microbiology.
Biochemistry I (3 semester credits) An introduction to the chemistry of biological compounds. A systematic study of carbohydrates, lipids, amino acids, proteins, nucleic acids, and their components is presented. Metabolism of biological compounds is studied as are the interrelations among the carbon, nitrogen, and energy cycles.
Human Anatomy w/laboratories (4 semester credits), Human Physiology with laboratories (4 semester credits), or Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II with laboratories (8 semester credits)
An introduction to basic human anatomy and physiology, including the structures of the human anatomical system and the physiology of the nervous, muscular, cardiovascular, respiratory, urinary, immune, endocrine and reproductive systems.
General Physics (3 semester credits)
Algebra or calculus based physics, including study of mechanics, heat, electricity and magnetism, light and modern physics.
Calculus (3 semester credits)
An introductory course to differential and integral calculus, including applications of the derivative and the definite integral. Analytic geometry and calculus is preferred.

Additional Course Requirements:
English Composition or Expository Writing (6 semester credits)
Courses focusing on the abilities and skills needed to write effective expository prose. Emphasis is on planning, writing and revising short and long essays and research papers. Writing intensive courses (designated as such by the institution) will be reviewed on an individual basis; course descriptions and/or syllabi will be required. ESL and Literature courses will not be accepted.
Public Speaking (3 semester credits)
The theory and practice of developing ideas, supporting materials, organization, style, delivery and audience adaptation. Waivers will not be granted based on life or work experience.
Humanities/Social Science (9 semester credits)
Some examples are: psychology, sociology, cultural anthropology, or history, humanities, literature, comparative literature, philosophy and art history.
Microeconomics (3 semester credits)
The study of fundamental microeconomic principles. (Macroeconomics or principles of economics courses are also accepted).
General Education (22 semester credits)
Other college level courses in science, humanities, social sciences, mathematics, language, business, etc. are considered in fulfilling general education credit. Vocational and developmental courses will not be accepted.