News Story: Artificial Spleen Clears Blood of Ebola, HIV, etc. (testing phase)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found a news story I think others on here will be interested in. I wonder if this is as good as it sounds. (Hasn't been tested on humans, or even pigs yet, but claims it can remove Ebola and HIV from human blood.)

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/artificial...iv-viruses-toxins-blood-using-magnets-1465585

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds interesting for sepsis, though it probably would only work in early stages before the patient starts to completely crash. I don't see how it would work with HIV unless your hooked up to it for life since HIV integrates with the genome.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm super skeptical that their nanoparticles will magically attach to any and everything that's not human and help us clear it, which is essentially what the article is trying to imply.

I mean, I get that it's modelled after a protein we already have, but the only thing which really changes using it is the method of removal, and it's making a LOT of assumptions about what will actually be bound.

Last edited: