next 3 years and transition to full time student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLongRoad87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm compiling a list of schools to research that may have programs im interested in, I have a quick 3 yrs to decide and if there's a deployment in there it will go real fast.

In 3 yrs my goal is to have half of my BS(online) complete and transfer these credits to a university and go to school full time. Specifically looking for BS programs that would include Pre-Med pre reqs so I can knock those out at the same time, although i'm not opposed to going post-bacc Pre-Med either, im pretty open to options at this point. After the next 3 yrs, I would be going to into whatever program with or without some pre-med done, depending what happens. This is why I asked on a previous post if I should take any Pre-Med before I get to that degree completion stage. How focused on Pre-Med should I be next 3 yrs before getting to that point or not at all?

What are some schools specifically on the East Coast that may have programs i'm interested in? I inquired at Syracuse where I used to live and some others of interest for BS and/Or Med School like Drexel, Univ. SC, etc etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your plan on trying to finish two years of undergrad before EASing is a good idea and a reasonable goal. Since you are going to be taking mostly online classes I might hold off with pre-med prerequisites for now. I'd wait to take those at a brick-and-mortar college/university. I also say this because if you wait to take you pre-med requirements until after you get out then they will all be condensed in a (relatively) short period of time and should help come MCAT time.

There are other pre-med activities you can do over the next couple years however. You can try talking to some docs at your unit's aid station and see if you could shadow them on your off time. Since you are still active duty you may get more experience in this respect then shadowing a private physician.

As far as BS options that include pre-med requirements as part of the degree then you would be looking at most science degrees. Chemistry and biology degrees will probably have the most overlap. Keep in mind though that if you're not interested in pursuing a science degree then I wouldn't do it just to minimize the number of classes you are taking.

I don't believe that doing a post-bac program is really necessary. You seem to have enough time ahead of you to complete the required pre-med classes during you undergrad. Keep in mind those post-bacs are for individuals who graduated from college THEN decided to go into medicine and now need those prereqs.

Last edited:
I think your plan on trying to finish two years of undergrad before EASing is a good idea and a reasonable goal. Since you are going to be taking mostly online classes I might hold off with pre-med prerequisites for now. I'd wait to take those at a brick-and-mortar college/university. I also say this because if you wait to take you pre-med requirements until after you get out then they will all be condensed in a (relatively) short period of time and should help come MCAT time.

There are other pre-med activities you can do over the next couple years however. You can try talking to some docs at your unit's aid station and see if you could shadow them on your off time. Since you are still active duty you may get more experience in this respect then shadowing a private physician.

As far as BS options that include pre-med requirements as part of the degree then you would be looking at most science degrees. Chemistry and biology degrees will probably have the most overlap. Keep in mind though that if you're not interested in pursuing a science degree then I wouldn't do it just to minimize the number of classes you are taking.

I don't believe that doing a post-bac program is really necessary. You seem to have enough time ahead of you to complete the required pre-med classes during you undergrad. Keep in mind those post-bacs are for individuals who graduated from college THEN decided to go into medicine and now need those prereqs.

Very helpful, thank you..thats what I was leaning towards just focusing on what is in my degree plan and building up my pre-med package for the next couple years,,then focus all efforts on premed stuff. I work in Medical Admin and will be at the AF Academy Hospital so im in a very good position to do some shadowing.