Next semester??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brandie28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone planning on taking next semester off to work and save money?? Or does that look bad? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Being that I stated on all my apps that I will earn my degree in the spring...not an option for me. And I still have a couple of pre-reqs to finish for some schools.

If I could, I guess I would...

Oh yea I would definitely finish your degree. On my PharmCAS application I had put down that I would be completing classes such as biochem, genetics and cell biology prior to entering butttt if I were to actually get in somewhere I would want to work to save money. But I don't know what they would think of that. I guess I would have to ask the specific school. It would be nice to pay off the car!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone planning on taking next semester off to work and save money?? Or does that look bad? :confused:

Bad idea. If you can make 50 dollars an hour after you finish school, then why make 10 dollars an hour now? I would suggest you to get a student loan if you need more money.

well in the case with nova, i have everything completed except speech. though i listed i will be taking additional courses on pharmcas (for other schools), my first choice is nova. Since i am accepted, i'm planning on dropping those other courses and just finishing out what i need for nova's requirements. i dont know if this looks bad, but why should i waste more money on classes that nova doesn't even want nor are they asking for for my conditional requirements? but before i do anything, i'm going to ask the admissions staff. if anyone knows the answer or has any feedback let me know. thanks

Unless you are finishing out a degree or completing a few pre-reqs needed for certain schools, why would it be bad if someone was just working the semester prior to entering pharm school?

Some of us out here in the real world have full time jobs and have got to make a living anyways. If it was a penalty to not be taking classes only then there would be a whole lot of people that wouldn't get accepted every year.

I've been working full time and taking courses through correspondance. Organic I & II, Economics & Biochem. I basically treat them as summer courses and do them in 3-6 weeks. I have one more course to take (Physiology-6 credit hours)that should only take about 8 weeks to complete. That way I can bring home a full paycheque every week and still complete my pre-reqs, and get in a better financial position before I go and spend tens of thousands on this next degree. :p

The way I see it, work will also give you new learning experiences along with extra money, so why not? But if you need to finish classes, make that a priority and you can opt for a part-time job like tutoring (great experience to practice your communication skills ;) and get some extra cash). So I don't think that it looks "bad" unless you can explain to others what you learned from your employment experience.

Oh yea I would definitely finish your degree. On my PharmCAS application I had put down that I would be completing classes such as biochem, genetics and cell biology prior to entering butttt if I were to actually get in somewhere I would want to work to save money. But I don't know what they would think of that. I guess I would have to ask the specific school. It would be nice to pay off the car!!

Brandie28, It all depends on which pharmacy school accepts you and where you end up deciding to attend pharmacy school.

Until those two events occur, I would keep taking classes and find ways to further improve my application.

If you do get accepted, then I can see you having the option of working full time and saving money needed to support your living expenses in pharmacy school. :)

Bad idea. If you can make 50 dollars an hour after you finish school, then why make 10 dollars an hour now? I would suggest you to get a student loan if you need more money.

I don't think its a bad idea at all. If she doesn't have any more classes to take, assuming she already finished her pre-requisites then why not? I'm getting my BS in December, so I'll most likely be working at a pharmacy during my semester off.

Loans only pay for school, but not for everything else we may need or want in life. :D

Brandie28,

Are you going to go to NOVA or are you waiting to see what other schools accept you???

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Not all of us are kids and have parents to pay our bills. Some of us need to work to survive. Loans are a terrible idea, you pay back 5 times what you borrowed.

You do what you need to do. Since the turn in the economy, I've been working two jobs with my classes. It can be done if your willing to work for it! =)

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Not all of us are kids and have parents to pay our bills. Some of us need to work to survive. Loans are a terrible idea, you pay back 5 times what you borrowed.

You do what you need to do. Since the turn in the economy, I've been working two jobs with my classes. It can be done if your willing to work for it! =)

I worked for my dad for 4 years on the roof (under the hot sun, taking off and putting new roof on, not like where you are working now, making pills in an air conditioned room) and he promised to pay my last year of work (he pays me cash at the end of every year). He promised me to pay my first two years of college education. He did neither and left me and my mom. My only hope was the student loan or else I would have been living in the streets.

Plus, I am certified and been looking for a job for a long time and found out that I can't get part time (I believe that most pharmacies want full time and working full time will be too much for me), but then I realized that I can pay back my loan after I get my pharmacist license. I believe that student loans used only for tuition is the best investment you can have. It is not like stocks, where one day you win or lose. A student loan, if you do get your pharmacy license, then you will win.

Another thing:

"you pay back 5 times what you borrowed"

Please explain this quote a little more.

In my head, if I borrowed $20,000 loan and paid 6 percent interest. I only need to pay back $1,200 to the people that gave me the loan.

How can this be 5 times more than what I borrowed?

Last edited:
We have all worked our fair share of crappy jobs. We have also all been screwed over. I'm sorry you went through that, but don't try to play a martyr. (I worked on an non-airconditioned receiving dock driving a forklift overnight for two years when I graduated high school just to keep my roof over my head and my mother gambled away my "college fund". I've been there too!) Another thing, my one job is "cushy" yes. I'm a busdriver for my second job, not so cushy. (Irritating as all hell is ore like it!)

As far as loans go, my husband took out a six thousand dollar loan for school. We are paying back 22 thousand on that. "5 times" is what's called a figure of speech. It is nearly 4 times the amount though. And the interest accrues yearly. What you pay the first couple years is only interest, not principle. Go get a car loan or mortgage and see what I mean.

I see no reason to take out a loan when you can work a couple of extra hours to alleviate it. It my personal experience that loans are best avoided unless necessary.

We have all worked our fair share of crappy jobs. We have also all been screwed over. I'm sorry you went through that, but don't try to play a martyr. (I worked on an non-airconditioned receiving dock driving a forklift overnight for two years when I graduated high school just to keep my roof over my head and my mother gambled away my "college fund". I've been there too!) Another thing, my one job is "cushy" yes. I'm a busdriver for my second job, not so cushy. (Irritating as all hell is ore like it!)

I am glad that you know how I feel like now. It just I got irritated when you said this to me, "Not all of us are kids and have parents to pay our bills." My point was that I wasn't one of those spoiled kids either.

As far as loans go, my husband took out a six thousand dollar loan for school. We are paying back 22 thousand on that. "5 times" is what's called a figure of speech. It is nearly 4 times the amount though. And the interest accrues yearly. What you pay the first couple years is only interest, not principle. Go get a car loan or mortgage and see what I mean.

I see no reason to take out a loan when you can work a couple of extra hours to alleviate it. It my personal experience that loans are best avoided unless necessary.

Ah, I understand now what you mean. If you get a long term loan (30 years or more), it can get very expensive. But a house mortgage, if you get a good deal on it and sell for profit, you will get more than your money back. This is a good investment. I was only talking about a one year loan for me. $20,000 to pay all undergrad tuition for me and then if you can pay it back in one year, the loaners get interest of $1,200. Of course, I can't pay it back in one year so the number will go up. So, yes it will be expensive if I don't pay it back in 10 years.

In the other hand, I don't like car loan at all. They are degradable machines that make you pay and you get no profit. That is why I take the RTD lightrail everyday!

Anyways, my point is that if you can't pay your tuition, then who is? I was only saying that education loan is a good investment if you don't have any money or can't find a part time job. So, I am glad that you have a job that pays your college!:thumbup::thumbup:

Hopefully for me, I will get my job at Walgreens this week and maybe I won't even need the loan money, which would be awesome. :D

I guess we are talking about different things! I thought you meant taking out a loan for living expenses. I think that working is a better way to pay rent than student loans. Tuition is a different story. I thought the post was about money for things other than tuition. I am very fortunate to have full scholarships which pay my tuition and give me a little extra as well so I don't really know what it's like paying for it. I would think loans make a lot of sense for school related purposes. I just think it would be silly to take out a loan to pay off your car for example, because more than likely you wind up paying a large amount more than you would have in the first place!:laugh:

As far as my "kid" comment I apologize. I sadly am constantly surrounded by idiot children in most of my classes who complain that their daddy wont buy them this, or they had no time to study because they had that party to go to, etc. I guess I overreact because that is mostly what I've been exposed to and most of those kids have no clue what life is about. So sorry for my rude reaction. heh :smuggrin: :p

I guess we are talking about different things! I thought you meant taking out a loan for living expenses. I think that working is a better way to pay rent than student loans. Tuition is a different story. I thought the post was about money for things other than tuition. I am very fortunate to have full scholarships which pay my tuition and give me a little extra as well so I don't really know what it's like paying for it. I would think loans make a lot of sense for school related purposes. I just think it would be silly to take out a loan to pay off your car for example, because more than likely you wind up paying a large amount more than you would have in the first place!:laugh:

LOL, I agree that it would be so silly to use the loans to pay off a car loan. Some people I know actually do use the loans as living expenses. My brother is a frat at DU and he used the student loans to help pay for kegs at his frat parties and rent his frat house and then pay tuition too. He is in his 4th and last year with enormous debt on his credit! I am talking about 1000 a month to pay back for like at least 10 years. I am so glad that I learned how he used his money unwisely and now I won't make the same mistake that he made. :)

As far as my "kid" comment I apologize. I sadly am constantly surrounded by idiot children in most of my classes who complain that their daddy wont buy them this, or they had no time to study because they had that party to go to, etc. I guess I overreact because that is mostly what I've been exposed to and most of those kids have no clue what life is about. So sorry for my rude reaction. heh :smuggrin: :p

Apology accepted!:thumbup:

Its okay if other people complain or this or that. Just remember, you have set your life goals and the people don't. When people don't set their life goals, their lives will be disastrous.

Last edited: