Next semester...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, if you guys think taking biochem and o chem II in the same semester is a good or bad idea? I'm sure that I can handle it because I took bio and o chem I together last semester and did fine. I need to take these classes soon, and I have come to a decision to take them both together in the Fall. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering, if you guys think taking biochem and o chem in the same semester is a good or bad idea? I'm sure that I can handle it because I took bio and o chem together last semester and did fine. I need to take these classes soon, and I have come to a decision to take them both together in the Fall. What do you guys think?

Well, Ochem is (or should be) usually a pre-req for biochem, so I don't know if I'd recommend it, considering biochem is pretty much like ochem on crack with more bio thrown in.

I was wondering, if you guys think taking biochem and o chem II in the same semester is a good or bad idea? I'm sure that I can handle it because I took bio and o chem I together last semester and did fine. I need to take these classes soon, and I have come to a decision to take them both together in the Fall. What do you guys think?

Bio and biochem are in two totally different realms as far as difficulty is concerned. I took bio and ochem together and it was cake because bio was cake. Now biochem...I took that alone and it ate up a ton of my time.

I'd say no, unless you never want to stop studying...ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on how hard your teacher is. But in general, bad idea.
OChemII is a lot more information than OChemI. I took OChemII, genetics, ochem lab, and bio lab in one semester (along with two non science courses) and it was the worst mistake ever.

Biochem is extremely information rich and requires a significant time commitment. Ochem II is not bad, but I agree with the above posters that there is a lot more info in Ochem II due to the vast number of functional groups that are covered and their accompanying reactions. Like for instance, I believe the section on carbonyl compounds and acid derivatives itself had around 30-40 reagents....wouldn't recommend it.

So in my other thread, biochem + physics + genetics in the fall seemed possible. Now after reading this, i feel like i'll die?

So in my other thread, biochem + physics + genetics in the fall seemed possible. Now after reading this, i feel like i'll die?

I was considering taking Biochem, genetics, and comparative physiology

Ok, so I see that most of you guys think taking these class together is a bad idea. However, the biochem professor is really easy, and I have heard great things about his class so I don't think it will be that bad. He taught my biology class for half the semester, and I did really well on his half. As for O chem II, the professor is really good from what I've heard and he curves. I really hope that I will not be making a really big mistake taking these together, but if I don't then I will be really far behind. Also, I'm a biochemistry and molecular biology major, so I guess I should get used to this course load... :/

Is this really that bad of an idea to take these classes together? I really hope that I'm not going to be in a bad situation, if I decide to do this... any more suggestions or thoughts?

Is this really that bad of an idea to take these classes together? I really hope that I'm not going to be in a bad situation, if I decide to do this... any more suggestions or thoughts?

It's really up to you. It depends on how well you handle a lot of work, how well your time management skills are, and how much OTHER stuff you're going to have on your plate. If you're working full-time, or almost full-time, and volunteering 4 or 5 hours a week AND trying to do that whole course load, then I'd say you were crazy. But if you just have that course load and are maybe just doing a few hours of volunteering a week, then it's possible. Just be ready to study a lot.

I think doing ochem II and then biochem (in two separate semesters) is a better idea. The ochem II will give you a better foundation for the mechanisms you'll encounter in biochem, at least at my school. You'll just be better prepared for biochem in general.

I'm sure it varies by school, however BioChem wasn't all that bad with the professor I took it with. There was little to none actual Organic on it. He would say this is this type of reaction, and show the mechanism---Organic 2 might help you to follow that. But it wasn't test on. It was alot more conceptual than spitting facts and reactions back out.

O-Chem II isn't a walk in the park, and I'm far from a genius. But once O-Chem as a whole "clicks," and you understand what's going on with the Oxygen containing compounds, it seems to go downhill as far as difficulty. I took Genetics with O-Chem II, and the time I spent on Genetics was similar to that for BioChem II. I think you could certainly handle it.