Next steps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bos98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I graduated back in 2020 with a bachelors in psychology. I was on the premedical track so I completed all the premedical requirements. After graduating I was planning on taking one gap year, however here we are in gap year number two. I currently work in lab operations at a biotech company. When I graduated back in 2020 I had a cGPA of 3.82 and a sGPA of 3.7. However my last 45 unit GPA was 3.95 and that is when I took most of my premed courses. Back in undergrad I did some minimal shadowing, I volunteered at a hospital for a couple years, I volunteered as a teaching aid with children, and some of minor volunteer engagements. During college I also was a TA for 2 courses, a peer advisor, and I was in a psychology research lab for 2 years. Ever since graduating and finding a full time job, volunteering has come to an end. Other than work these days I am the captain for a couple LGBTQIA sports teams.

I know that I still would have to take the MCAT but is there any other advice on a path forward?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you have leadership and research to discuss already on your future application, and I think your current role as the captain for your sports teams is super cool! I would try and get back into a volunteering role soon so that you will have an established relationship with an organization by the time you apply, otherwise is looks as though you are simply checking a box.

From what you've written, it's hard to gauge how much clinical exposure you had through your hospital volunteering role and shadowing. You only really need ~50-75 hours of shadowing, from what I understand, by the time you apply (so that shouldn't be a major concern). I would just be able to have a strong clinical experience to talk about during your application so you can easily justify why you want to switch from a research profession and that you know what you are getting into.

Hope this helps!

Hi everyone!

I graduated back in 2020 with a bachelors in psychology. I was on the premedical track so I completed all the premedical requirements. After graduating I was planning on taking one gap year, however here we are in gap year number two. I currently work in lab operations at a biotech company. When I graduated back in 2020 I had a cGPA of 3.82 and a sGPA of 3.7. However my last 45 unit GPA was 3.95 and that is when I took most of my premed courses. Back in undergrad I did some minimal shadowing, I volunteered at a hospital for a couple years, I volunteered as a teaching aid with children, and some of minor volunteer engagements. During college I also was a TA for 2 courses, a peer advisor, and I was in a psychology research lab for 2 years. Ever since graduating and finding a full time job, volunteering has come to an end. Other than work these days I am the captain for a couple LGBTQIA sports teams.

I know that I still would have to take the MCAT but is there any other advice on a path forward?

Thank you in advance!
Bulk up service to others less fortunate than yourself

Reactions: 1 users