NG/Reserves For prior service enlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fenixak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So having served 4 years + 2IRR in the Marines, I know how military life is like. I'm wanting to measure whether coming back for seconds would be ideal or not.

Here is my situation
1) Previous 4years AD +2IRR in the Marines (Enlisted)
2) 4th year med student
3) Will have ~125k med school
4) Going into Radiology
5) Interested in that 40k/year loan payback 1:1 commitment
6) Would be interested in a stipend, but its a 2:1 commitment
7) I want as short of a commitment as possible because I don't want to gamble whether I would enjoy or hate life in the NG/Reserves
8) I have a family, won't want to deploy for more than 90days at a time.
9) Will do a 1 year fellowship, how is this treated?

First of all, I'm not even sure if they would even take a radiologist (specialty isn't on their "in need" list). Second, radiologist are compensated nicely as attendings which makes me feel like it may not be financially beneficial. Also, i'd almost assume that it would be harder to find a job as an attending if I was NG/Reserves as I may be deployed randomly. I definitely couldn't deploy for a year at a time, so does this mean that only NG should be considered?

Summary of my questions
1) Would this really benefit me financially without causing a huge burden on my family?
2) Would this hinder me finding a job as an attending? Could I do a fellowship?
3) If interested, when should I join? If I wanted to pay off my 125k loans, what would be my shortest commitment?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't really help with 2 or 3. As for point 1, you've got a relatively light med school debt and you are going into a high paying field. Additionally, you will make substantially less as an attending in the military. I don't see how coming in helps you financially.

Reactions: 2 users
A NG or Reserve AMEDD Officer will likely come along and provide more information but below are two documents that do not include 61R for the financial incentives and indicate that your #5 incentive $40K is for Active Duty not Reserve. The loan repayment may not be that high for Reserves if you're even eligible as a 61R.

Wait for a NG or Reserve AMEDD officer to answer or go see a Health Care Recruiter to determine current benefits for Reserves and NG. There is a healthcare recruiter that posts on here occasionally too. Good luck in this quest.

• Must have completed at least 1 year of an approved Graduate Medical Education (GME) internship, Must hold a current, valid, active and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the US, District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico. Army Reserve Medical Corps Programs/Incentives page 13 http://rhce.amedd.army.mil/landstuhl/AMEDD_FY15Guidevs2.pdf I couldn't find the FY16 version and this source with 'Landstuhl' may not be reliable.
  • Medical school loan repayment of up to $50,000 over three years through the Healthcare Professions Loan Repayment Program; participants receive $20,000 per year for the first two years and $10,000 the third year. http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/health-care/benefits.html

Members don't see this ad :)
A NG or Reserve AMEDD Officer will likely come along and provide more information but below are two documents that do not include 61R for the financial incentives and indicate that your #5 incentive $40K is for Active Duty not Reserve. The loan repayment may not be that high for Reserves if you're even eligible as a 61R.

Wait for a NG or Reserve AMEDD officer to answer or go see a Health Care Recruiter to determine current benefits for Reserves and NG. There is a healthcare recruiter that posts on here occasionally too. Good luck in this quest.

• Must have completed at least 1 year of an approved Graduate Medical Education (GME) internship, Must hold a current, valid, active and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the US, District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico. Army Reserve Medical Corps Programs/Incentives page 13 http://rhce.amedd.army.mil/landstuhl/AMEDD_FY15Guidevs2.pdf I couldn't find the FY16 version and this source with 'Landstuhl' may not be reliable.
  • Medical school loan repayment of up to $50,000 over three years through the Healthcare Professions Loan Repayment Program; participants receive $20,000 per year for the first two years and $10,000 the third year. http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/health-care/benefits.html

Looks like NG has better loan prepayment. http://www.nationalguard.com/healthcare-bonuses-and-loans

Edit: I hope a NG AMEDD recruiter does come. I'm having a hard time finding a recruiter in my area that knows anything.

Last edited:
So having served 4 years + 2IRR in the Marines, I know how military life is like. I'm wanting to measure whether coming back for seconds would be ideal or not.

Here is my situation
2) 4th year med student
4) Going into Radiology
7) I want as short of a commitment as possible because I don't want to gamble whether I would enjoy or hate life in the NG/Reserves

First of all, I'm not even sure if they would even take a radiologist (specialty isn't on their "in need" list). Second, radiologist are compensated nicely as attendings which makes me feel like it may not be financially beneficial. Also, i'd almost assume that it would be harder to find a job as an attending if I was NG/Reserves as I may be deployed randomly. I definitely couldn't deploy for a year at a time, so does this mean that only NG should be considered?

Summary of my questions
1) Would this really benefit me financially without causing a huge burden on my family?
3) If interested, when should I join? If I wanted to pay off my 125k loans, what would be my shortest commitment?

I also am prior service but am currently an E5 in the guard and about a month out from getting my direct commission with the guard. I can't speak for the reserves but the docs in my state deployed for 90 days boots on the ground back in 2010-11. We haven't deployed since and I do not see any deployments in the near future for my unit even though we are in the "ready" status (can't remember the technical term right now.

Reach out to any ARNG recruiter and ask specifically for the AMEDD Specialty Branch Recruiter in your state and they should be able to get you in contact. Then you can ask for the FY 15-16 AMEDD Incentives Policy document that details the MDSSP, STRAP, and HPLRP options.

As far as fellowships go, the incentives policy document states that fellowships can be considered for STRAP on a case by case basis, although, if the fellowship isn't on the critical wartime shortage list, then the officer is not eligible for STRAP after completing residency. In this case, the officer and physician will be eligible for mobilization after completing residency but can still continue pursuing the fellowship without the scholarship. You are correct about the HPLRP being 1 for 1 and 40k per year with 240k cap. It sounds like only taking HPLRP without the STRAP would be what you're interested in since you want to limit your obligation and maximize the military's contributions.

I also am prior service but am currently an E5 in the guard and about a month out from getting my direct commission with the guard. I can't speak for the reserves but the docs in my state deployed for 90 days boots on the ground back in 2010-11. We haven't deployed since and I do not see any deployments in the near future for my unit even though we are in the "ready" status (can't remember the technical term right now.

Reach out to any ARNG recruiter and ask specifically for the AMEDD Specialty Branch Recruiter in your state and they should be able to get you in contact. Then you can ask for the FY 15-16 AMEDD Incentives Policy document that details the MDSSP, STRAP, and HPLRP options.

As far as fellowships go, the incentives policy document states that fellowships can be considered for STRAP on a case by case basis, although, if the fellowship isn't on the critical wartime shortage list, then the officer is not eligible for STRAP after completing residency. In this case, the officer and physician will be eligible for mobilization after completing residency but can still continue pursuing the fellowship without the scholarship. You are correct about the HPLRP being 1 for 1 and 40k per year with 240k cap. It sounds like only taking HPLRP without the STRAP would be what you're interested in since you want to limit your obligation and maximize the military's contributions.

Thank you for your post. I want to minimize my obligation because I want to experience life in the NG first hand before signing years away. Let's say I wanted to take 3 years of HPLRP, would that mean I would only have a 3 year obligation after residency? To me, this seems very reasonable. I know that obligations are typically 6 years and 2 years IRR, a friend told me that since I'm prior service, it's different for me, and that I could join without obligation(seems too good to be true). I'm hoping to find someone to answer this question. Thanks again

I finally got a call by a guy that knew a lot. So since I already did my time, then I only would need serve 2 more years (can be during residency). Every 40k/year I take puts me at 1 year commitment post residency. Apparently, fellowship year would count as my first year of commitment. So if I got the 120k loan payback, I would be obligated for 2 years as an attending.

Reactions: 1 user
I finally got a call by a guy that knew a lot. So since I already did my time, then I only would need serve 2 more years (can be during residency). Every 40k/year I take puts me at 1 year commitment post residency. Apparently, fellowship year would count as my first year of commitment. So if I got the 120k loan payback, I would be obligated for 2 years as an attending.
What is the military v. civilian salary differential for a fellowship trained radiologist? Enough to cover the 120K in question?

What is the military v. civilian salary differential for a fellowship trained radiologist? Enough to cover the 120K in question?

Sorry, not quite sure I understand your question. When you say military, do you mean active duty? In radiology, typically fellowships are done to land a job (as the job market is tougher than it used to be). I know starting off, radiologist can start anywhere between 3-400k per year in the private sector in the locations I want to practice. Not sure how much a military doc may make.

The draw to the NG for me is that I can get rid of 120k debt and only be obligated to 1 year as a fellow and 2 years as an attending. Unless I deploy as an attending, it is my perception that this would be a financially sound idea. My only reservation is that it may make it difficult for me to land my initial job (they wouldn't want someone deploying at random).

Sorry, not quite sure I understand your question. When you say military, do you mean active duty? In radiology, typically fellowships are done to land a job (as the job market is tougher than it used to be). I know starting off, radiologist can start anywhere between 3-400k per year in the private sector in the locations I want to practice. Not sure how much a military doc may make.

The draw to the NG for me is that I can get rid of 120k debt and only be obligated to 1 year as a fellow and 2 years as an attending. Unless I deploy as an attending, it is my perception that this would be a financially sound idea. My only reservation is that it may make it difficult for me to land my initial job (they wouldn't want someone deploying at random).
You are not going to make as much in the military as you would as a civilian. Predicting military doc salary is difficult and if another BC radiologist wants to muck their salary please do, but I thought the number was ~150-180K w/o retention bonuses. If you make 300K in your first year of practice in the civilian sector, then the difference is your debt paid off right there. My point is that if your main concern is financial, why go into the military at all? Yes you will get tuition repayment help but you will still come out behind than if you just worked as civilian, and you won't have to worry about deployments, training, etc. During your time as an attending in the NG you will be making military salary correct?

Here is my situation
2) 4th year med student
4) Going into Radiology

Summary of my questions

Marine here also. Look into Navy FAP also. It leads to a reserve commitment, and you have a chance to be with Marines again if you'd like. I believe the Air Force has FAP, too.

You are not going to make as much in the military as you would as a civilian. Predicting military doc salary is difficult and if another BC radiologist wants to muck their salary please do, but I thought the number was ~150-180K w/o retention bonuses. If you make 300K in your first year of practice in the civilian sector, then the difference is your debt paid off right there. My point is that if your main concern is financial, why go into the military at all? Yes you will get tuition repayment help but you will still come out behind than if you just worked as civilian, and you won't have to worry about deployments, training, etc. During your time as an attending in the NG you will be making military salary correct?

So the national guard is basically a reservist. They drill one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year. As a radiology attending, I will work as a civilian, but still drill that one weekend a month. So if there is no deployment, I would continue making my civilian salary. But when the NG do deploy, it's 90days "boots on the ground". I will not be active duty unless pulled into a 3 mo deployment.

So the national guard is basically a reservist. They drill one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year. As a radiology attending, I will work as a civilian, but still drill that one weekend a month. So if there is no deployment, I would continue making my civilian salary. But when the NG do deploy, it's 90days "boots on the ground". I will not be active duty unless pulled into a 3 mo deployment.
Okay, good to know, thanks for the info. It sounds like you like the NG route. Good luck.

Re: your MSO:
- Before going any further. Make sure that the "guy that knew a lot" is an AMEDD Officer Recruiter. There is a lot of bad gouge about the NG. To find the person that will have the latest and greatest information, call 800-GO-GUARD and ask for your state's AMEDD Officer Recruiter. Needs to be AMEDD (it's unique animal) and needs to be Officer.
- Ask specifically about the 2 year commitment. I too have heard about prior service counting towards 8 year MSO, but have also heard that it did not in the case of new commissions whose prior MSO was enlisted time. I've heard more often the former than latter, but make sure to check with the AMEDD Officer Recruiter and have him/her point you to the regs.

Re: Loan Repayment (HPLRP)
- You do not incur a commitment as such. When you are eligible (when you have finished residency) to sign up for HPLRP. One year after that date, they will initiate payment for your loans. But you can leave at any time during that year. I mention this because it isn't really a true commitment in the sense that you can leave at any time after signing up for the program; you are not committed.
- The $40K loan repayment is only for federal medical student loans. Not private, not pre-medical school. Do not consolidate any undergrad/grad loans with your medical loans. When the Army pays the repayment, they pay it to the particular loan of their choice or break it down between different ones. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason.
- the actual loan repayment is $30K, as they hold $10K towards your taxes (this repayment is taxed as military income, but not as a bonus). I ran through various figures at tax time and the 25% rate seemed to be about right.
- the first go-round with HPLP is rough, paperwork-wise. Plan on it taking a few weeks to months to get all the necessary approvals. After that, it gets much easier.

re: Misc:
- As you figured, you will not be a radiologist in the Guard. You will be a Field Surgeon or Brigade Surgeon. The Guard does combat and combat support roles. If you want to be a radiologist, Army Reserve is your best bet. I've know a couple of radiologists who joined in medical school and both beat feat to the Reserve during or after residency.
- You are a deployable asset during fellowship. They will typically give you a pass for deployment if you are in fellowship and other assets are available (and you are tagged for the next deployment when you finish), but it's not a hard and fast rule. Some folks have successfully made their fellowship time non-deployable, but you can not take HPLRP (or Special Pay, for that matter) as a non-deployable asset.

Hope this helps...

Re: your MSO:
- Before going any further. Make sure that the "guy that knew a lot" is an AMEDD Officer Recruiter. There is a lot of bad gouge about the NG. To find the person that will have the latest and greatest information, call 800-GO-GUARD and ask for your state's AMEDD Officer Recruiter. Needs to be AMEDD (it's unique animal) and needs to be Officer.
- Ask specifically about the 2 year commitment. I too have heard about prior service counting towards 8 year MSO, but have also heard that it did not in the case of new commissions whose prior MSO was enlisted time. I've heard more often the former than latter, but make sure to check with the AMEDD Officer Recruiter and have him/her point you to the regs.

Re: Loan Repayment (HPLRP)
- You do not incur a commitment as such. When you are eligible (when you have finished residency) to sign up for HPLRP. One year after that date, they will initiate payment for your loans. But you can leave at any time during that year. I mention this because it isn't really a true commitment in the sense that you can leave at any time after signing up for the program; you are not committed.
- The $40K loan repayment is only for federal medical student loans. Not private, not pre-medical school. Do not consolidate any undergrad/grad loans with your medical loans. When the Army pays the repayment, they pay it to the particular loan of their choice or break it down between different ones. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason.
- the actual loan repayment is $30K, as they hold $10K towards your taxes (this repayment is taxed as military income, but not as a bonus). I ran through various figures at tax time and the 25% rate seemed to be about right.
- the first go-round with HPLP is rough, paperwork-wise. Plan on it taking a few weeks to months to get all the necessary approvals. After that, it gets much easier.

re: Misc:
- As you figured, you will not be a radiologist in the Guard. You will be a Field Surgeon or Brigade Surgeon. The Guard does combat and combat support roles. If you want to be a radiologist, Army Reserve is your best bet. I've know a couple of radiologists who joined in medical school and both beat feat to the Reserve during or after residency.
- You are a deployable asset during fellowship. They will typically give you a pass for deployment if you are in fellowship and other assets are available (and you are tagged for the next deployment when you finish), but it's not a hard and fast rule. Some folks have successfully made their fellowship time non-deployable, but you can not take HPLRP (or Special Pay, for that matter) as a non-deployable asset.

Hope this helps...

Thanks a lot- I appreciate the time you spent to provide this info.

My only question is about the fellowship and HPLRP. Lets say that I 100% would like the HPLRP during fellowship. Could I elect to be a deployable asset to utilize the benefit? I understand if that was possible, I may be risking a potential deployment.

My only question is about the fellowship and HPLRP. Lets say that I 100% would like the HPLRP during fellowship. Could I elect to be a deployable asset to utilize the benefit? I understand if that was possible, I may be risking a potential deployment.
You don't need to go to ANY effort to be a deployable asset during fellowship. That's the default.

When you submit the paperwork for HPLRP, they don't ask if you're in fellowship or what your job is. You just need to be in good standing with the Guard and demonstrate that you are board eligible (i.e. completed residency). You then sign the paperwork later and a year later they start the process to pay out to your student loans, providing you have had a "good year" (stayed in good standing during the year), which you will as long as you do AT and drill monthly.

You don't need to go to ANY effort to be a deployable asset during fellowship. That's the default.

When you submit the paperwork for HPLRP, they don't ask if you're in fellowship or what your job is. You just need to be in good standing with the Guard and demonstrate that you are board eligible (i.e. completed residency). You then sign the paperwork later and a year later they start the process to pay out to your student loans, providing you have had a "good year" (stayed in good standing during the year), which you will as long as you do AT and drill monthly.

Thank you

Sorry for being late to this party. I'm not sure if you're still battling with the possibility of joining NG. If not, kudos to having made your decision. If so, feel free to read on.

I'm not entirely sure about some of the specifics relating to your MSO having been prior service, active. However, I can tell you that I have been in the NG since 99 as a medic and commissioned in May as a Dental Student Officer and had incurred no MSO until I signed for MDSSP. Throughout my time as an enlisted medic, I served in nearly all capacities- from being a line medic with the infantry, to a BN staff medic, to being a SRP/hospital-type medic, to being 1SG for a medical company. Throughout this time, I have dealt with AMEDD student officers and officers alike. Many incentive programs have changed over the years (mostly for the better, but not always). If you have any questions pertaining to life as a Guardsman, I could go on for days (definitely including ALL of the good AND ****ty aspects).

Most of the replies I've read are accurate based on my understanding. However, to recap, I figured I would include all of the info I have to confirm/deny each of your summary interrogative items, at least to the extent of my knowledge:

***I can't tell you this for certain as there are too many variables. However, as it was pointed out earlier in the thread, you would be a "Field Surgeon" regardless of your specialty...no Radiology in the guard, at least not in my state. The benefit, though, is that you will earn a civilian salary while also having loans payed off and having a little "extra" paycheck for your drill pay and 2-week Annual Training. Moreover, you can do this for a few years to get your loans payed off which also lets you sample the NG life. I've seen a couple dozen Marines join the NG...based on my observations, about 25% seem to enjoy it, 25% hate it, and about 50% are okay with it. As I've heard before, essentially all Marine units are of high caliber, while Army units run the gamut from crap to top notch. The NG is just an extension of that. I've been in 4 units up to this point (not a great sample size, I know)...2 of which were very professional and 2 were average, but that is highly dependent upon their mission (ex. a Brigade Support Battalion typically has a more relaxed atmosphere than Infantry Regiments, which can be a challenging transition depending on prior experience and expectations), state (some states have a much better reputation than others), and particular leadership at any given point in time (a ****ty CO plus a ****ty 1SG = a ****ty unit...the converse also being true).

***[To paraphrase] The law states that an employer cannot discriminate against military personnel in their hiring practices (See "USERRA" for more info). With that said, I am aware that discrimination still does occur, but know that this should be the exception more than the rule. And, yes, you can do a fellowship while participating in HPLRP as long as you are a deployable/useful asset. Now, the NG does deploy (throughout my career, every 4 years plus or minus). But, the length of deployment is very typically NTE 90 days BOG for providers. Additionally, NG OPTEMPO has decreased significantly over the past 5 years.

***I would talk to a NG AMEDD recruiter to find out and read all the regulations pertaining to this. Also, begin dialogue with this recruiter immediately. The process for commissioning can be a long and painful one. For example, even though I've been in the NG in the same state for my entire career, a rather prosperous career at that, and a relatively clean record, it still took a year until I was sworn in. This can take more or less time (anywhere from 6-18 months), depending on things that are out of your control. So, sooner is better than later to get started on your packet. With that said, I would think that 3 years would cover your situation and leave an opening for you to stay in and get bonuses every year after having your loans payed off, if you enjoyed it enough. Currently, you can get $25K/yr for a 3-yr MSO, $20K/yr for a 2-yr, and $15K for a 1-yr.

I apologize for the novel, but I wanted to give you as much info as I could to help you in your decision. I know there is a lot to research & consider. My honest opinion: I love the NG and it has opened so many doors for me that otherwise would not have been as well as the networking that can be done is very useful! But, there are drawbacks, no doubt. For me, it's just that the benefits have far outweighed the negatives.

I hope any of this information is useful! If anyone else reading the thread desires, I can post the sources of my info.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for being late to this party. I'm not sure if you're still battling with the possibility of joining NG. If not, kudos to having made your decision. If so, feel free to read on.

I'm not entirely sure about some of the specifics relating to your MSO having been prior service, active. However, I can tell you that I have been in the NG since 99 as a medic and commissioned in May as a Dental Student Officer and had incurred no MSO until I signed for MDSSP. Throughout my time as an enlisted medic, I served in nearly all capacities- from being a line medic with the infantry, to a BN staff medic, to being a SRP/hospital-type medic, to being 1SG for a medical company. Throughout this time, I have dealt with AMEDD student officers and officers alike. Many incentive programs have changed over the years (mostly for the better, but not always). If you have any questions pertaining to life as a Guardsman, I could go on for days (definitely including ALL of the good AND ****ty aspects).

Most of the replies I've read are accurate based on my understanding. However, to recap, I figured I would include all of the info I have to confirm/deny each of your summary interrogative items, at least to the extent of my knowledge:

***I can't tell you this for certain as there are too many variables. However, as it was pointed out earlier in the thread, you would be a "Field Surgeon" regardless of your specialty...no Radiology in the guard, at least not in my state. The benefit, though, is that you will earn a civilian salary while also having loans payed off and having a little "extra" paycheck for your drill pay and 2-week Annual Training. Moreover, you can do this for a few years to get your loans payed off which also lets you sample the NG life. I've seen a couple dozen Marines join the NG...based on my observations, about 25% seem to enjoy it, 25% hate it, and about 50% are okay with it. As I've heard before, essentially all Marine units are of high caliber, while Army units run the gamut from crap to top notch. The NG is just an extension of that. I've been in 4 units up to this point (not a great sample size, I know)...2 of which were very professional and 2 were average, but that is highly dependent upon their mission (ex. a Brigade Support Battalion typically has a more relaxed atmosphere than Infantry Regiments, which can be a challenging transition depending on prior experience and expectations), state (some states have a much better reputation than others), and particular leadership at any given point in time (a ****ty CO plus a ****ty 1SG = a ****ty unit...the converse also being true).

***[To paraphrase] The law states that an employer cannot discriminate against military personnel in their hiring practices (See "USERRA" for more info). With that said, I am aware that discrimination still does occur, but know that this should be the exception more than the rule. And, yes, you can do a fellowship while participating in HPLRP as long as you are a deployable/useful asset. Now, the NG does deploy (throughout my career, every 4 years plus or minus). But, the length of deployment is very typically NTE 90 days BOG for providers. Additionally, NG OPTEMPO has decreased significantly over the past 5 years.

***I would talk to a NG AMEDD recruiter to find out and read all the regulations pertaining to this. Also, begin dialogue with this recruiter immediately. The process for commissioning can be a long and painful one. For example, even though I've been in the NG in the same state for my entire career, a rather prosperous career at that, and a relatively clean record, it still took a year until I was sworn in. This can take more or less time (anywhere from 6-18 months), depending on things that are out of your control. So, sooner is better than later to get started on your packet. With that said, I would think that 3 years would cover your situation and leave an opening for you to stay in and get bonuses every year after having your loans payed off, if you enjoyed it enough. Currently, you can get $25K/yr for a 3-yr MSO, $20K/yr for a 2-yr, and $15K for a 1-yr.

I apologize for the novel, but I wanted to give you as much info as I could to help you in your decision. I know there is a lot to research & consider. My honest opinion: I love the NG and it has opened so many doors for me that otherwise would not have been as well as the networking that can be done is very useful! But, there are drawbacks, no doubt. For me, it's just that the benefits have far outweighed the negatives.

I hope any of this information is useful! If anyone else reading the thread desires, I can post the sources of my info.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write that