NHSC APPLICATION 2014/2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will we receive an email stating the counter signature?
what does a counter signature mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
what does a counter signature mean?

I'm not sure about an email... Hopefully!

And the contract must be signed by the student and the Dept of Health & Human Services. Counter-signed= that second signature!

For those of us who haven't even been credit checked, are we out of luck?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope not but it doesn't seem too promising!
When they say you may not hear anything until September 30th, they mean it! My wife had 5 students in her class who did not find out until the last day. Someone in my program has already received it but I really don't think that means much. Also I feel like they check credit before reviewing app and not the other way around. Also credit is not the only determining factor indicating your ability to successfully complete a commitment. SDN is great for getting an idea of how the process is moving along but that is it, I mean my god if everyone was right about everything that was said on here I wouldn't be at UMich with scholarship. I say hang in there!

Reactions: 6 users
My wife received the scholarship 2 years ago without a credit check, I ran her credit report myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Any updates? New offers? Still anxiously waiting that signature here.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received new offers? I am waiting to hear back. My application is still processing.. hopefully I still have a shot?

My application status is still 'under review'... is this looking pretty grim for me? :/

My application status is still 'under review'... is this looking pretty grim for me? :/
well I was trying to stay positive but I can already count at least 25 DDS candidates who received a finalist notification. So that means there are no more scholarships to give? Right? and why would we have to submit brand new essays if they never read the ones we submitted in the first place?

well I was trying to stay positive but I can already count at least 25 DDS candidates who received a finalist notification. So that means there are no more scholarships to give? Right? and why would we have to submit brand new essays if they never read the ones we submitted in the first place?

wow 25 already? how did you find out?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little sad now. Stay positive guys! I just keep thinking about all that debt and literally have been obsessing over how much I have to take out in loans. It's very frightening! Anyone else have similar thoughts?

Hey! Dont be sad!...Its still early and some people might not accept the award. They still have to go under another round of review process to get it.

I'm a little sad now. Stay positive guys! I just keep thinking about all that debt and literally have been obsessing over how much I have to take out in loans. It's very frightening! Anyone else have similar thoughts?

Has any finalists not gotten an email but see that their contract as been signed by NHSC on the portal? Last year it seemed that at this time some people had counter-signatures.

My contract hasn't been counter-signed..hopefully this week it will be!

are you guys all students that have been accepted to dental schools or pre-dental students? Just curious :) thanks.

are you guys all students that have been accepted to dental schools or pre-dental students? Just curious :) thanks.
The NHSC scholarship is only available to current dental/medical/midwife/nursing, etc students OR to those who have earned an acceptance letter to their professional school and will be starting in August. The NHSC application opens mid-March and closes mid-May, with decisions starting in late July through September 30.

My contract hasn't been counter-signed..hopefully this week it will be!
I've been checking daily incase they don't send an email. All quiet here. This wait is worse than Dec 1, because we have no real deadline (other than Sept 30...).

Medical student finalist.. still no word since late july when I got the finalist email. And yes the deadline to accept the scholarship as a finalist has passed for me and still no movement. Anyone actually get the scholarship yet?

Medical student finalist.. still no word since late july when I got the finalist email. And yes the deadline to accept the scholarship as a finalist has passed for me and still no movement. Anyone actually get the scholarship yet?
Same, actually created an SDN account just to post this! Med student finalist, no word yet. I'm hoping any day we'll hear, but still makes me nervous!

Finalists: check your portal and click "your nhsc scholarship program signed contract" and scroll down to the bottom. Mine was electronically signed this morning by them!

Finalists: check your portal and click "your nhsc scholarship program signed contract" and scroll down to the bottom. Mine was electronically signed this morning by them!
Hmmm... Not me yet! Hopefully soon!

No signature for me yet either!

MD Candidate. Credit check 6/23. Received Finalist status 7/24. Submitted paperwork/signed contract 7/29. Just received NHSC signature 8/21 11:21AM. Updates on NHSC's end seem to come about a month apart, for anyone looking to apply next year.

Anyone know what happens now that we have the signature?

MD student, submitted on the deadline, received finalist email on 7/24, contract was signed this afternoon! My application status still says "Accepted Award - Awaiting Final Review" though.

Last edited:
Hey guys congrats on your scholarships. Sorry I am new to SDN Im an MS2 and just found this thread and am kinda behind the ball on everything. My application says "Under Review". Im not exactly sure how to check if they checked my credit. Also I called yesterday and the lady was super nice but she was like yeah they're still reviewing yours since it says under review. Am I pretty much out of the running since I havent received a finalist email and havent heard anything since I turned my things in? It just seems if I had a shot at this scholarship I would have heard a few things by now but like I said my portal only says under review. Thanks in advance for any helpful info!

Got a signature!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know what happens now that we have the signature?

Now that you have your signature, you are for sure for sure getting the scholarship (the first for sure was when you got your finalist email). All you have to do now is wait until that glorious day when you get the next email from them saying that you have a new message on your portal. Then when you go to sign in, everything will look different and you will have a "Welcome to the NHSC Scholarship Program" letter waiting for you and all the documents you need to turn into your school to start getting paid. Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys congrats on your scholarships. Sorry I am new to SDN Im an MS2 and just found this thread and am kinda behind the ball on everything. My application says "Under Review". Im not exactly sure how to check if they checked my credit. Also I called yesterday and the lady was super nice but she was like yeah they're still reviewing yours since it says under review. Am I pretty much out of the running since I havent received a finalist email and havent heard anything since I turned my things in? It just seems if I had a shot at this scholarship I would have heard a few things by now but like I said my portal only says under review. Thanks in advance for any helpful info!

I'm in the same boat! I am thinking we may have to try applying again next year...

Now that you have your signature, you are for sure for sure getting the scholarship (the first for sure was when you got your finalist email). All you have to do now is wait until that glorious day when you get the next email from them saying that you have a new message on your portal. Then when you go to sign in, everything will look different and you will have a "Welcome to the NHSC Scholarship Program" letter waiting for you and all the documents you need to turn into your school to start getting paid. Congrats everyone!
Got my contract esigned yesterday, it still says under final review and the contract is empty now. But I guess thats good news?

Got my contract esigned yesterday, it still says under final review and the contract is empty now. But I guess thats good news?

They make it seem like things are still unsure all the way until you get the official email, but in reality, from the moment you got the finalist email, you got the scholarship. Go ahead and celebrate. The e-signing and being under "final review" is just a way to delay things so you don't get as upset when they still take another 2-3 months to pay things off at your school.

Also got it e-signed, sent that along to my FA to start the process. My Dean of FA is now taking it into his hands, he was waiting for that before charging me tuition. Talk to your FA, they're usually really flexible.

The site is scheduled for maintenance tomorrow from 7AM to 5PM. I'm guessing that this is so they can update our portal. (yay!)

Is there anyone here like me who is a finalist but doesn't have a signature yet?

Just checked portal after maintenance. Still under review and nothing else...

Hey, for anyone who wants to know, I just got my contract counter-signed. I was rejected last year for the scholarship, but got it this year. This year I applied with disadvantaged status, but did not bother to last year, so I recommend doing that if possible. I did pretty well in school last year, I was ranked 21 of 75 at the end of the school year. I also volunteered in some free clinics. So, my advice for those who want to get the scholarship next year is to do well in school this year, volunteer in underserved healthcare situations (it doesn't have to be a ton of hours, just experiences that you can talk about), and submit the disadvantaged status if you are at all able to.

Just saw that mine was counter esigned as well!!!

Hey all,

For those who are MD/DO applicants, is there anyone here who is currently an MS1? In other words, you applied before starting school/you requested 4 years of funding?

Thanks! :)