NHSC Scholarship for 2+ Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natemckeown2

Reaction score
Hello everybody, does anyone know if the difficulty/competitiveness of getting the NHSC Scholarship for a second year is as difficult/competitive as getting it the first year? Or do they see that you already got it and automatically renew it for a second year as long as you still want it? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most people I know who have the NHSC scholarships take out the 3 or 4-year scholarships and don't reapply for it. I don't know of anyone who has the 2-year scholarship, and the 1-year scholarship is not really taking advantage of the full potential of this scholarship. I know that once you're in service as an NHSC scholar you can convert to loan repayment once your scholarship service commitment is over and they will grant you precedent over new applicants for loan repayment.
I think your question should be addressed to one of the NHSC analysts directly, but knowing their process I doubt they will automatically convert anything unless you exert a significant effort on your part to follow up and reach out to them.

Most people I know who have the NHSC scholarships take out the 3 or 4-year scholarships and don't reapply for it. I don't know of anyone who has the 2-year scholarship, and the 1-year scholarship is not really taking advantage of the full potential of this scholarship. I know that once you're in service as an NHSC scholar you can convert to loan repayment once your scholarship service commitment is over and they will grant you precedent over new applicants for loan repayment.
I think your question should be addressed to one of the NHSC analysts directly, but knowing their process I doubt they will automatically convert anything unless you exert a significant effort on your part to follow up and reach out to them.
This is helpful, I was not sure if scholars had to reapply for it each year. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There's no such thing as a 1-year NHSC scholarship. The minimum commitment is 2 years, and when offered the scholarship you're given the option of selecting how many years you wish to commit to, unless things have changed. The scholarship is for a set term and is a contractual agreement; you don't re-up it or re-apply for it. I had a four year scholarship and if I had to do it over again would strongly have considered a 3-year commitment. Most likely could have made up the difference the fourth year in the private sector while having much better quality of life.

There's no such thing as a 1-year NHSC scholarship. The minimum commitment is 2 years, and when offered the scholarship you're given the option of selecting how many years you wish to commit to, unless things have changed. The scholarship is for a set term and is a contractual agreement; you don't re-up it or re-apply for it. I had a four year scholarship and if I had to do it over again would strongly have considered a 3-year commitment. Most likely could have made up the difference the fourth year in the private sector while having much better quality of life.

There is a 1 year scholarship option. You are correct that the minimum is 2 years of commitment. Like I stated above this option doesn't take full advantage of this scholarship unless you go to a very expensive DDS/DMD program.

I also agree with you on the 3-year commitment. That's what I got and honestly depending on where you work 3 years can seem like a long enough time. The patient population you see at an FQHC is among the most challenging from multiple angles, and you'll still need to deal with the bureaucracy because unfortunately nonprofits are still corporations and they care about their bottom line more than you doing quality dentistry.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 8.50.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 8.50.40 PM.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 81
Thank you for your reply, yeah if I get it I think I'll do a 2 or 3 year commitment because my wife will be working as a nurse and we should be able to save up for and cash flow the other year(s). I think 2 or 3 years in a HPSA will give me enough experience and time to be prepared for private practice.

unfortunately nonprofits are still corporations and they care about their bottom line more than you doing quality dentistry

Yup. Worked in two FQHCs during my NHSC obligation and the ONLY thing they care about is maximizing revenue and production. FQHCs are just nonprofit Aspen Dental.