MD Nice stats, weaker ECs. Help with school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashtonjam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am thinking of schools and would value any opinions on my list so far. Are there any with specific missions or weird preferences that I may have missed? Maybe even advice on ECs to do during the upcoming gap year because I could use improvements.
  • cGPA: 3.95 MCAT: 39
  • WWAMI resident
  • ORM
  • Graduated with Biochem, will take gap year and volunteer/shadow while applying
  • Really liked family practice overall, but anesthesia and academic medicine in general are good too
ECs:
  • Clinical volunteering ~200 hours, 1 year and continuing
  • Shadowing ~100 hours, many specialties
  • Chemistry research ~400 hours, no publication yet and professor isn't giving me news about the paper I helped with
  • Tutoring ~400 hours, 2 years and continuing. Various types between paid and volunteer. Super meaningful, tried to emphasize.
  • Listed some random hobbies in AMCAS like skiing, tennis, etc. but no competitions or substantial stuff
Reaches:
  • Wash U
  • Harvard
  • Stanford
  • Baylor
  • Northwestern
Comfort zone:
  • UW Seattle
  • Dartmouth
  • USC
  • Tufts
  • Temple
  • Boston U
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Albany
  • Drexel
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a pre-med like yourself so take my advice for what it's worth, but one thing I see missing is non-clinical volunteering. Your clinical volunteering is great, but I would supplement that with something outside of a hospital, ie: volunteer at a homeless shelter, tutor/mentor kids struggling in middle school, habitat for humanity, etc. Do whatever you want to do, but it's important to know that a lot adcoms like volunteer experiences that directly aid the less fortunate.

Get started on this right away, adcoms can see your altruism and commitment with a long-term non-clinical volunteer experience.

I would probably swap out Drexel with something else, unless you really want to attend Drexel. Your stats are way above their averages.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would probably swap out Drexel with something else, unless you really want to attend Drexel. Your stats are way above their averages.

And Temple, and R. Franklin, and Albany...with your stats you can be a bit more optimistic. Apply to schools you'd like to go to, not to schools whose stats you blow away.

Top schools want to train future leaders in medicine, so get started on a significant leadership activity. They also find substantial research activity appealing, so continue with some if you can. USC likes to see committed service to those in need, so rethink its inclusion on your list if you have none.

I'm just a pre-med like yourself so take my advice for what it's worth, but one thing I see missing is non-clinical volunteering. Your clinical volunteering is great, but I would supplement that with something outside of a hospital, ie: volunteer at a homeless shelter, tutor/mentor kids struggling in middle school, habitat for humanity, etc. Do whatever you want to do, but it's important to know that a lot adcoms like volunteer experiences that directly aid the less fortunate.

Get started on this right away, adcoms can see your altruism and commitment with a long-term non-clinical volunteer experience.

And Temple, and R. Franklin, and Albany...with your stats you can be a bit more optimistic. Apply to schools you'd like to go to, not to schools whose stats you blow away.

Top schools want to train future leaders in medicine, so get started on a significant leadership activity. They also find substantial research activity appealing, so continue with some if you can. USC likes to see committed service to those in need, so rethink its inclusion on your list if you have none.

Thanks for the responses. So it's 1) Non-clinical volunteering and 2) Leadership mainly. Would animal adoption volunteering suffice as non-clinical and would I have to answer questions about why medicine over vet? Also could use suggestions on leadership stuff if possible. Without it and extensive research, are my reaches a no-go?

Possible school changes:
-Drexel (stats)
-Albany (stats)
-Temple (stats)
-USC (committed service)
+Emory
+Case Western
+U of Rochester
+Cornell
+Albert Einstein* Biochem major, but no letters from biochem professors. Not sure if two chemistry letters will satisfy their departmental letter requirement.

Any missions or quirks about this new additions?

Would animal adoption volunteering suffice as non-clinical and would I have to answer questions about why medicine over vet?
I've heard many stories about Humane Society volunteering being a common talking point at interviews, but honestly, for med school application purposes, you'll get more mileage out of helping homeless humans.
Also could use suggestions on leadership stuff if possible.
My favorite quote on Leadership (with some augmentations) per Mobius1985:

"From a conversation with an adcomm member I learned that (at his school) one gets points for the intensity of the leadership experiences listed. Here are some examples of activities I've learned of on SDN and how I'd rank them (opinions, as always, may vary). Multiple experiences increase the score. It's OK to shine in another area if leadership isn't your forte.

Level I: 1) President of a club for a year. Led meetings. 2) Start small, common-interest club eg card playing, sport, adventure, campus cleanup. 3) Train, schedule, oversee freshman mentors. 4) Initiate food drive among your friends and collect donations for a food pantry. 5) Member of student senate.

Level II: 1) Club officer multiple years, eventually president, key in initiating new projects. 2) Start new club, attracting 20+ members to do community service, and/or arranging speakers, and/or successfully campaigning for a change on campus. 3) Shift supervisor, trainer of new employees or lab volunteers. 4) Team captain. 5) Officer of student senate.

Level III: 1) Board member for health-related organization or charitable foundation for several years who helps organize/participate in health fairs, involved in presentations to get funding for projects, brings opinions to the meetings and campaigns to effect change. 2) President of three clubs some of which do community service or raise money for projects. 3) Organize 3-4 charity concerts with large attendance coordinating multiple committees. 4) Direct a play or other large production.

Level IV: 1) Chief Editor of school paper, writing editorials to sway opinion, directing policy and coordinating staff. 2) President of student senate; initiates and carries through major change, coordinating large subcommittees. 3) NCO or officer in the armed forces who trained/led a military group/team/unit.

Level V: 1) Founded a charitable group, raised thousands of dollars for many projects, multiple year involvement, group continues after your departure. Branch groups started in other locations under your leadership. 2) Start a free clinic, recruit doctors, nurses, and student workers to volunteer their time. Raise the money for supplies/pharmaceuticals or get them donated. Help hundreds to thousands of patients in the time you're involved. 3) Start a successful company with 5+ employees, understanding organizational, legal, and accounting principles, and make a profit. Guide growth, economic, and financial aspects. 4) Military leadership in combat."

Reactions: 1 users