night float requirements for TY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackman100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a limit to night float months for TY year? The PD says that there is a requirement but it is not written in the ACGME transitional year requirement pdf file. I would like to do more than one month of night float (instead of floor months). I should be able to use the PDF file, correct? There is resident coverage available for floor months.

Members don't see this ad.

Just switch with a co-intern. They will gladly take night float in exchange for floor months. There is no ACGME rule and multiple programs require 6-8 weeks of night float routinely. Why you would torture yourself is another question.

Just switch with a co-intern. They will gladly take night float in exchange for floor months. There is no ACGME rule and multiple programs require 6-8 weeks of night float routinely. Why you would torture yourself is another question.

Depends on the program. NF is pretty chill at my program. 4-6 weeks a year and you work 1/2 the nights. I have 5 weeks NF and of those 35 nights, I work 17 of them. Not busy either. Maybe cover 60 pts max? There's a co-intern that covers the other 60 on service as well.

Wards at the same hospital is not chill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the program. NF is pretty chill at my program. 4-6 weeks a year and you work 1/2 the nights. I have 5 weeks NF and of those 35 nights, I work 17 of them. Not busy either. Maybe cover 60 pts max? There's a co-intern that covers the other 60 on service as well.

Wards at the same hospital is not chill.

Covering 60 patients at once? That sounds terrible. Is that even legal?

Working half the days sounds awesome though.

NF wards at my place is the worst rotation of the year. Admitting every single night and then rounding in the AM.

Covering 60 patients at once? That sounds terrible. Is that even legal?

Working half the days sounds awesome though.

NF wards at my place is the worst rotation of the year. Admitting every single night and then rounding in the AM.

Not sure on rules. 60 is theoretical max I think since each intern covers 3 teams that cap at 20. Usual is probably 40 pts on average. My home program for med school I think had only 1 intern covering all 5 ward teams so up to 100 sometimes as we capped regularly at the main hospital, 1 at the VA (also covering 5 teams @ 15 each maybe on avg), 1 at the cancer center covering 6 teams (10 average each).

Not sure on rules. 60 is theoretical max I think since each intern covers 3 teams that cap at 20. Usual is probably 40 pts on average. My home program for med school I think had only 1 intern covering all 5 ward teams so up to 100 sometimes as we capped regularly at the main hospital, 1 at the VA (also covering 5 teams @ 15 each maybe on avg), 1 at the cancer center covering 6 teams (10 average each).

Sign-out sounds like fun.

One of my upper levels here said covering 30 was the max, however, if you guys are doing 40-60, he may just be wrong (or ya'll are breaking the rules).

My residency didn't have a night float system. We had a call schedule and the call person (only one person) did all the admits overnight and fielded all the floor calls from nursing (except OB and NICU) so about 112 beds so the 60 for me doesn't sound so bad as long as you didn't have to round. So for us there was only paperwork on any admits from 7p-7a.

Don't think there's a Max. At my program there's a single intern float who covers six teams carrying up to 20 patients each. Obviously you'll never hit the theoretical 120 limit (I had 74 when I was floating). Our PD is a stickler for ACGME rules and I can't imagine him breaking rules on this though.