NIH extramural loan repayment while in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jejudo

Yellow fever island
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are current residents eligible for the NIH loan repayment program? Or do you have to take additional dedicated research years? The criteria listed are 20 hours/week and 50% of time. I feel like I could put in 20 hours a week while still continuing my residency training.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll probably need a letter from your institution guaranteeing at least 50% of your time for the duration of the grant. If you have a dedicated block during your residency or take time out of residency, that might be possible.

Edit: I should add that I do know a resident who got LRP during time out from residency he took to do a PhD. His residency of course was lengthened to compensate for the amount of time out he took.

As long as you have an institutional official who can attest to your salary and > 1/2 time research status for at least 2 years, there is no administrative hurdle. However, if I was reviewing your application and I would ask myself the question "How would this help this candidate maintain a research career?" I wouldn't see it as necessary for a resident who is not missing out on any clinical earning potential and could very easily drop research after residency vs. a fellow in a research intensive fellowship who is missing out on clinical earning opportunities in order to do research. Remember that this is not a grant that is awarded based on the awesomeness of your research, but rather a way to incentivize early career researchers to choose research over more lucrative clinical work.

Reactions: 1 user