NIH IRTA hiring process and timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ex_animo_92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted some updated information from IRTA students if possible! I'm mostly concerned about timing, especially in respect to scheduling my MCAT and finding an apt.

So last Friday, I accepted a post-bac IRTA spot from a PI at the NIH. I sent in my transcript as requested by the Administrative Officer* at that particular institute, but she's currently on vacation until next week.

At this stage, the PI has already accepted me into his lab but my position/hiring hasn't yet been approved by the scientific director, nor has my application been removed from the OITE database. I'm not sure if I should be worried... I'm wondering if I can get un-hired at this stage. Or could it just be because the AO handling this red tape just hasn't been back?

Also, assuming I will get the position, how long does this process take? When should I start looking for an apartment? Also, I currently have my MCAT set for August 15, but I'm not prepared, and I know I should push it back before all the seats are filled for the next 2 mo.s. Should I schedule it for September down in Bethesda? Is it advisable to take it while settling down at a new job?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on your position!

You should definitely discuss your start date with your PI, since they are formally in charge of that. My start date was less than two weeks after I sent in my transcripts. The administrative officer (AO) is the 'HR' person who usually handles the processing of your application, and I imagine this is the person who is on vacation. If you are lucky, there might be another AO who can process the paperwork for you. I would ask your PI about that if you're eager to get started.

I recommend joining the clubPCR yahoo group to find housing. It is a listserv mostly just for postbacc IRTA's.

However, you should know that it can be crazy difficult to get an MCAT seat in Bethesda/DC. If you're able to delay your start date until after the MCAT and just focus on studying full time for a month, I would recommend that, especially if you're well into your content review/scoring well on practice tests. At least take an AAMC before you decide to delay -- I was very surprised by my first practice test score, which ended up being what I made on the real thing (33). However, you may find that you have a lot of downtime at the beginning of your position, and that might be a good time if you just need time to memorize factoids.

Enjoy your time at NIH -- it's an amazing opportunity!

Thanks a bunch! Hoping I go through the administrative stuff without a hitch.

Was there anything else you had to do before getting there aside from sending in transcripts? I'm guessing this is why I haven't been completely approved by the SD yet.

So true about the MCAT. Seats fill up insanely fast, yikes.