NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I ran into the missing promissory note issue a few years ago, with my initial LRP application/award. For anyone else encountering this, the magic phrase is "the Dept. of Education ombuds' office said I do not have to pay the loan if you cannot produce the promissory note" - that's word-for-word what the DoE told me to say. If your loan servicer cannot produce a promissory note, then they cannot prove you owe anything. They will move heaven and earth to find the promissory note.
Amazing! Very good to know!

Members don't see this ad.

So it looks like there was a massive outpouring of folks announcing LRP awards from NHLBI yesterday on Twitter, mostly pediatric and clinical. Does that mean those of us who didn't hear back probably didn't get it? I submitted a health disparities renewal...Haven't heard anything, and my application status is listed "Council review completed." But weirdly my last LRP contract is still marked as active in my awardee portal despite it technically ending on 6/30? Lol the mixed messages are killing me (even though I'm still assuming I didn't get it).
I'm also waiting to hear about a disparities renewal, with NIA as the primary funder. Historically, I think disparities award notices have been the last to go out. I also haven't received the final payment of my current/last award. I emailed the LRP info address, and they said they the payment was in process, no other explanation.

I kind of think they might be waiting to find out what is happening with the national payment pause and loan forgiveness. In my case, I'll hit 120 payments for public service loan forgiveness next spring. If the loan payment pause gets extend, there's no need for me to have an LRP renewal.

(Side note, if you haven't applied for the PSFL under the new waiver/rules, do it! I had 5 years work of pre-doctoral payments that didn't count under the old rules, and now they do.)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone awaiting word from NIDCD? Particularly for a renewal? I am applied for a second renewal. (New LRP was funded in 2018, first renewal in 2020 for 2 years, applied this year for second renewal for 2 final years).

I received an email this morning that said “Your LRP Award!” and told me to log in to check my loan portfolio but didn’t say anything about “you’ve been awarded” or anything. It was an email I might expect after being notified I was awarded one, not the standard notification email. When I went to log in, my email address wasn’t recognized and somehow the system had changed my log in to my personal email address not my work one (I logged in with my work one a few days ago so this is a weird recent change and I didn’t change anything in my commons account. And the email I got came to my work email.) So that was odd. But I was able to log in and under my portfolio and it does show a new contract award (!!!). It however has dates for one year, not two. But, still no email letting me know I was awarded it. My commons account is unchanged (still says council review completed. No date with a new notification email or anything.)

I’m cautiously optimistic this means I’ve been awarded a one year renewal. And I’ll be thrilled and very grateful if that is the case. But I am also curious if anything like this has happened to anyone else? With a weird order of emails like this? And have you ever had another year of the award show up before you got your official notification letter? Is it possible they are updating the system and things aren’t final yet and I saw this earlier than expected? I am partially asking because when I received my email about my first renewal in 2020, the first one said it was for one year (and that’s what showed when I logged in), but two days later I got an updated one saying it was actually for two years. I thought it was a long shot weird fluke (and was thrilled), but is it possible that could happen again?

My IBO (back during application season) also told me she screwed something up when she was verifying my salary. It sounded like she maybe used an old amount so she said she was going to email or call them to fix it. I am also wondering if it’s possible she only verified for one year somehow and not two. I assume if that was the reason for a one and not two year renewal there isn’t anyway to fix that?

Of course, it’s also very possible if not most likely that funding priorities dictated a one instead of two year renewal. I was hopeful to not have to apply again this fall, as the second year would finish paying off all of my loans. But, thrilled for even a year more of this support. The email I received, the weird log in change, and my experience a few years ago with the number of years changing just made me wonder a bit.

Anyone awaiting word from NIDCD? Particularly for a renewal? I am applied for a second renewal. (New LRP was funded in 2018, first renewal in 2020 for 2 years, applied this year for second renewal for 2 final years).

I received an email this morning that said “Your LRP Award!” and told me to log in to check my loan portfolio but didn’t say anything about “you’ve been awarded” or anything. It was an email I might expect after being notified I was awarded one, not the standard notification email. When I went to log in, my email address wasn’t recognized and somehow the system had changed my log in to my personal email address not my work one (I logged in with my work one a few days ago so this is a weird recent change and I didn’t change anything in my commons account. And the email I got came to my work email.) So that was odd. But I was able to log in and under my portfolio and it does show a new contract award (!!!). It however has dates for one year, not two. But, still no email letting me know I was awarded it. My commons account is unchanged (still says council review completed. No date with a new notification email or anything.)

I’m cautiously optimistic this means I’ve been awarded a one year renewal. And I’ll be thrilled and very grateful if that is the case. But I am also curious if anything like this has happened to anyone else? With a weird order of emails like this? And have you ever had another year of the award show up before you got your official notification letter? Is it possible they are updating the system and things aren’t final yet and I saw this earlier than expected? I am partially asking because when I received my email about my first renewal in 2020, the first one said it was for one year (and that’s what showed when I logged in), but two days later I got an updated one saying it was actually for two years. I thought it was a long shot weird fluke (and was thrilled), but is it possible that could happen again?

My IBO (back during application season) also told me she screwed something up when she was verifying my salary. It sounded like she maybe used an old amount so she said she was going to email or call them to fix it. I am also wondering if it’s possible she only verified for one year somehow and not two. I assume if that was the reason for a one and not two year renewal there isn’t anyway to fix that?

Of course, it’s also very possible if not most likely that funding priorities dictated a one instead of two year renewal. I was hopeful to not have to apply again this fall, as the second year would finish paying off all of my loans. But, thrilled for even a year more of this support. The email I received, the weird log in change, and my experience a few years ago with the number of years changing just made me wonder a bit.
Did you try calling the LRP phone number to clarify/troubleshoot your access? The award login was the email address to which I received the "Your LRP Award!" and the password was my commons ID. After logging in, I then could change the password under the profile. Did you try work email as username + commons ID as password?

Did you try calling the LRP phone number to clarify/troubleshoot your access? The award login was the email address to which I received the "Your LRP Award!" and the password was my commons ID. After logging in, I then could change the password under the profile. Did you try work email as username + commons ID as password?
I am able to get in, it is just using a different email address but everything is showing up as it should, so I didn’t call since I was able to access it. Just seemed odd for it to change, and made me wonder if something wonky was going on.

Did you get another email letting you know you got an award? Or was it just the Your LRP Award! Email??

Last edited:
I am able to get in, it is just using a different email address but everything is showing up as ir should, so I didn’t call since I was able to access it. Just seemed odd for it to change, and made me wonder if something wonky was going on.

Did you get another email letting you know you got an award? Or was it just the Your LRP Award! Email??
I got two emails with the same "Your LRP Award!" subject heading. The first 8/1 saying congratulations and informing of the selection. The second 8/2 contains info about accessing the participant portal.

I got two emails with the same "Your LRP Award!" subject heading. The first 8/1 saying congratulations and informing of the selection. The second 8/2 contains info about accessing the participant portal.
Very interesting and helpful! Thanks! Seems somehow the first one didn’t come. Same thing happened to a colleague with the same IC!

I do think something wonky is happening. I received the “Your NIH LRP Award” email yesterday, with instructions for setting up an online account. This is my second renewal, so I already have an account. My account does not show a new award. I got so excited about the email yesterday, and now I’m worried it was a glitch and I didn’t actually get a renewal.

I do think something wonky is happening. I received the “Your NIH LRP Award” email yesterday, with instructions for setting up an online account. This is my second renewal, so I already have an account. My account does not show a new award. I got so excited about the email yesterday, and now I’m worried it was a glitch and I didn’t actually get a renewal.
Well at least know you aren’t alone. My colleague had this happen too. I’m going to wait a few days and see if somehow those emails just got sent early as they were updating things but I’ll probably reach out to my PO midweek if there isn’t confirmation / clarification by then and will update if I learn anything useful!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from NIAID about extramural first time awards/renewals? I have been twitter stalking incessantly and saw only one person tweet about an intramural award from them, can't decide if that means I'm toast for my first renewal...

Has anyone heard from NIAID about extramural first time awards/renewals? I have been twitter stalking incessantly and saw only one person tweet about an intramural award from them, can't decide if that means I'm toast for my first renewal...
I am also waiting to hear about my first renewal. Only the one announcement out there so far so I am staying optimistic.

I am also waiting to hear about my first renewal. Only the one announcement out there so far so I am staying optimistic.
I'm in the same boat with NHLBI but I admit it's hard to remain optimistic!!! After that big day on Twitter when a ton of people posted, I haven't seen anything. I only saw one person post about a health disparities award, which is also a renewal (I'm a first time renewal in health disparities as well). I've decided to not think about it and just wait til I hear back either way before getting ahead of myself emotionally, haha.

I will say, I applied for a 2 year award, and for some reason in my ERA Commons account, it has the award period listed as July 1, 2020-November 30, 2023, which would mean that someone went in there to list it as less than a 2 year renewal (i.e., July 1, 2022-November 30, 2023). The sheer weirdness of that is the only thing giving me a sliver of hope right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard from NIA that I was awarded a new 2 year LRP today! Excited, relieved and now starting the process of changing the institution associated with the award. I can share details of that process once I get to the other side. :)

Reactions: 4 users
To update on my wonky email situation, the award was added to my existing LRP account of Sunday evening, and I received the "official" notice of award on Monday. This is a second renewal for a disparities award, funded by NIA.

Do people typically get e-mails notifying them that their application was not funded?

Generally, if you don’t get an award, you should eventually get an email notifying you but it’s usually around September/near the start of the next application cycle. The vast majority of award notices go out simultaneously, but a small number of these may be to people that are now ineligible (took private practice/industry jobs, etc) so there is a chance to get an award notice later, but honestly it seems pretty rare these days. This did happen to me for my first renewal in 2018, it was about a week later than people posting here. It’s probably more likely for bigger institutes (NHLBI, NIAID, NCI).

Just FYI for NIAID extramural folks, I just checked my awardee portal and it updated this evening to include my next/final contract so I’d expect movement tonight or tomorrow night. This morning it was not updated.

Last edited:
I just heard from the NIAID this morning about a new 2-year award! Thank you to everyone here for your advice and support, and good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard from NIMHD?
Just received notice this morning from NIMHD that my LRP was funded!

Edit: just wanted to clarify it’s my first one. I know someone else who heard about an NIMHD renewal yesterday. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have not received any formal email notifications, but I did log onto the NIH LRP awardee portal just not and it shows my next (last) set of 4 LRP payments are scheduled. This is my 3rd renewal from NICHD. Guessing official notices should go out soon as the awardee portal was not updated earlier this week.

Also got positive news for my new pediatric LRP award from NIAID yesterday! Congrats everyone

Reactions: 3 users
for those of you going for public service loan forgiveness, any luck getting the LRP to distribute a payment to all loans so that you are minimizing your payments?

Anyone know how the $10,000 government loan forgiveness will impact this years LRP awards (if at all)?

anyone's loans get distributed to fedloans although now their loans have been sent to mohela? what did you do? how easy was it to locate the funds?

I have not received any formal email notifications, but I did log onto the NIH LRP awardee portal just not and it shows my next (last) set of 4 LRP payments are scheduled. This is my 3rd renewal from NICHD. Guessing official notices should go out soon as the awardee portal was not updated earlier this week.
Hi, I have just submitted a renewal application to NICHD and I was wondering-- were you able to get 2-year renewals, or were you limited to 1-year? My friends with NIMH always got their 2-year proposals awarded as 1-year contracts by the IC, but I'm hoping NICHD doesn't do that.

Not that this means anything, but my status in commons changed to "Council Review Complete" today. NIAAA CR - Renewal.

Same - my NIDA CR Renewal (attempt #2!) changed to "council review completed" as of 3/20. Hopefully that means some news about financial review is coming soon!

Same - my NIDA CR Renewal (attempt #2!) changed to "council review completed" as of 3/20. Hopefully that means some news about financial review is coming soon!
Same status update! New application. Question — did you not have this same status update last time? I’m curious if this means anything (as in good news), or if it just means reviews are done and now is waiting time. This is so stressful waiting! And still a few months to go…sigh…

Same — do we think this means anything?? Or just that reviews are done. First time doing this, so not sure if there are other status updates that appear.
I think it just means the reviews are done. I was hoping, with the switch to commons, that we'd get scores. But, it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Same status update! New application. Question — did you not have this same status update last time? I’m curious if this means anything (as in good news), or if it just means reviews are done and now is waiting time. This is so stressful waiting! And still a few months to go…sigh…
I do think it just means the reviews are done sadly! I had this same status change for my renewal last year which ultimately didn't get funded - my app from last year actually still says "council review completed." It's such a long time to wait.

Hi All! Same status for NHLBI. Here's what I will say (and it probably means nothing haha) - last year the Council Review didn't update until May and I didn't get the LRP. Maybe an earlier notification means better news?!

I got an email from LRP this morning saying that my application was "selected for financial review." I am a first-time applicant to the NIDA LRP.

Does anyone have experience requesting Promissory Notes from Sallie Mae? They're not available online and I'm bracing for a long phone call and a potential shouting match with one of their customer service agents...

I got an email from LRP this morning saying that my application was "selected for financial review." I am a first-time applicant to the NIDA LRP.

Does anyone have experience requesting Promissory Notes from Sallie Mae? They're not available online and I'm bracing for a long phone call and a potential shouting match with one of their customer service agents...
Congrats!

Two years ago, I had a really difficult time obtaining my promissory notes and was ultimately not able to get them for about half of my loans. I had many many long phone calls with my loan servicer, my undergraduate institution, a state ombudsman.... They went nowhere. I then called the LRP office and they were completely understanding. I forget exactly what their solution was, but I think I just ended up providing my balance statements and it was absolutely no issue. YMMV but don't panic. LRP office is exceptionally accommodating.

I contacted my PO and got this response:

I’m sorry for the confusion but the change in status to "council review completed" doesn’t imply anything new about your application. As stated at https://www.lrp.nih.gov/faqs , “LRP applicants are informed of final funding decisions into September.”

If additional financial info is needed before then, we will contact you by email, which could be anytime from June through late September.

If you want feedback on your review, please wait until you we notify you of your funding decision before contacting me.

Hang in there!
Yeah I will say the POs for LRPs are pretty useless until after the funding decision has been made. Every email we've had has ended with review the LRP website and funding decisions are made into September haha. Not their fault, but just not super helpful.

Status of my NIDCR LRP-REACH (L70) application status changed to "Council review completed" today, so here's to hoping for an invitation for the financial docs in the weeks to come!

NIMH renewal - changed to council review completed several days back and got email this morning about being selected for financial review!

NIMH renewal - changed to council review completed several days back and got email this morning about being selected for financial review!
Same! Good luck to you!

I have the same status for NICHD PR - New.
Have you heard anything from NICHD regarding financial review? Just curious, since my status updated 03/23 and I have no idea how long the process takes. I didn't hear I wasn't selected until mid-August last year. :(

Have you heard anything from NICHD regarding financial review? Just curious, since my status updated 03/23 and I have no idea how long the process takes. I didn't hear I wasn't selected until mid-August last year. :(
No I haven't. Fingers crossed for both of us!

Status of my NIDCR LRP-REACH (L70) application status changed to "Council review completed" today, so here's to hoping for an invitation for the financial docs in the weeks to come!
The option came up today to upload financial info, but I haven’t received the formal email. Seems like a good sign!

Congrats!

Two years ago, I had a really difficult time obtaining my promissory notes and was ultimately not able to get them for about half of my loans. I had many many long phone calls with my loan servicer, my undergraduate institution, a state ombudsman.... They went nowhere. I then called the LRP office and they were completely understanding. I forget exactly what their solution was, but I think I just ended up providing my balance statements and it was absolutely no issue. YMMV but don't panic. LRP office is exceptionally accommodating.
FYI, I called Sallie Mae -- they said it would take them 10 business days to send my promissory notes by email, but lo and behold I got them by 1 PM the same day! It might well be that all your past experiences and formal complaints helped clear the way for us new applicants. So thank you!

The option came up today to upload financial info, but I haven’t received the formal email. Seems like a good sign!
I would be careful to not over-interpret this. A lot of options on ERA Commons are automatically generated regardless of outcome, including asking for additional financial info, JIT docs, etc. I am staying cautiously optimistic at best until I receive the official email. Though it never hurts to start prepping your financial docs early!